1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2007 3:49 PM by 796447 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
        That attitude will really help you a lot! It does sound at least a little suspicious when your backup and your original copy disappear on the same day?

If you really did write that piano simulation and you understood what you were doing, that's the project you should be going for. It's your best shot to get at least something! So Ok, the copies on your disk and backup are gone, but surely there must be something left inside your head? You allready know what it should do, you have a clue on how to build it and you know how to avoid the pitfalls you encountered before! You based your implementation on some online tutorials, they'll probably still be available online, on the same spot and they'll probably still be in your iexplore/firefox history!
        • 16. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
          So really, just trip over
          when you're on your way to that high pedestal you
          like to take online, and realize you comments are
          less sad than the person it originally came
          from...you.
          See, I posted my last comment before I saw this...

Look, some guys took a high-handed attitude. Fine, let it ride. They're just some guys on the internet. Responding like that just doesn't do you any favours either in this thread or in others where people remember you.

The best thing to do is simply explain your position and ask for constructive advice; don't focus on what's done, but instead ask what could be done next time.
          • 17. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
            Still here, bclev? Thursday looms!
            Im sorry your mother never told you to read everything before you decide to be an
            So your saying someone (unspecified) here has decided to be an a(too lazy to ASCII)sshole? You seem a little confused about your judgements and others decisions. But, nevermind.

I, for one, was prepared to give the benefit of the doubt. But you're still here! You seem confused, as well, as to whether anyone's going to write your virtual piano. To put it with a(still too lazy)sshole-like bluntness: they're not.

Traditionally there are various ways you can go from this point:

(1) "I just want to know how to start" etc. Unfortunately this is not an option for you as you had already started and made great progress before the great BSOD. Still, it might be worth a try.

(2) Beg, cry etc. Dead disk drives are nothing. We've had dead relatives before now. And some guy who was prepared, in the absence of help, to put his head in an oven. So you had better pick up your act.

(3) Stamp your feet and abuse all and sundry.

Rather than writing the code, you're still here 6 hours later. So, forget Thursday, choose your tactic and let the games commence!
            • 18. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
              Well, if he really needs help I can code him a GUI sample that is IF he actually told us what he means by "virtual piano" cause that still isn't clear to me..
              • 19. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                Basically, it's a simple gui where I have a panel with two buttons, and 8-10 keys. That plays a note that starts at C and ends at C or E (no sharps or flats) I was thinking about adding the ability to use the keys a through ; to play it. Also, I was going to add recording, like where they click a button and each note they press is entered into a Queue, and play removes it, but thats too difficult.

Sorry, but I hate idiots online who call people they don't know things like lazy and pathetic,
                • 20. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                  Sorry, but I hate idiots online who call people they
                  don't know things like lazy and pathetic,
                  You realize, of course, the rampant hypocrisy in that statement
                  • 21. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                    So which is it 'bclev' - stupidity or laziness.
                    I think you're perhaps being a little harsh.
                    That is your opinion - I don't think I am being hard.
                    Yes we
                    should take backups and no we shouldn't cheat.
                    He failed to take adequate backups and is trying to get himself out of a fix by cheating.

>
                    But either way, now the OP knows we're not in a
                    position to help, hopefully this will be a learning
                    experience and instead of listening to jibes about
                    what he should have done/not done he can take the
                    advice about what he should do next time.
                    It should be a learning experience but I can't see why he posted if not to cheat. I cannot see a sensible reason for his post. He could not really hope that a Java forum would be able to tell him how to recover his Java source.

>
                    That's the important thing. If he's tried all manner
                    of file recover and it hasn't come through for him he
                    needs to knuckle down, get the work done and treat it
                    as a learning experience in more ways than one.
                    Agreed.

>
                    And if someone could point out a decent article on
                    how to set up a link to a CVS system, preferably
                    geared around smaller personal projects, I think a
                    lot of people might benefit.
                    Google works very well on CVS.
                    • 22. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                      I don't mind being hated by you and if I'm an idiot then you are a bigger idiot. I'm not the one who has a Thursday deadline and has lost his code and is trying to get someone to re-write it for him.
                      • 23. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                        That was the point...
                        • 24. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                          So which is it 'bclev' - stupidity or laziness.
                          I think you're perhaps being a little harsh.
                          That is your opinion - I don't think I am being hard.
                          Yes we
                          should take backups and no we shouldn't cheat.
                          He failed to take adequate backups and is trying to get >himself out of a fix by cheating.
                          >
                          But either way, now the OP knows we're not in a
                          position to help, hopefully this will be a learning
                          experience and instead of listening to jibes about
                          what he should have done/not done he can take the
                          advice about what he should do next time.
                          It should be a learning experience but I can't see why he >posted if not to cheat. I cannot see a sensible reason for >his post. He could not really hope that a Java forum >would be able to tell him how to recover his Java source.
                          >
                          That's the important thing. If he's tried all manner
                          of file recover and it hasn't come through for him he
                          needs to knuckle down, get the work done and treat it
                          as a learning experience in more ways than one.
                          Agreed.
                          >
                          And if someone could point out a decent article on
                          how to set up a link to a CVS system, preferably
                          geared around smaller personal projects, I think a
                          lot of people might benefit.
                          Google works very well on CVS.
                          Do you really think being mean does anything productive? Let me answer, no. My external harddrive has been a reliable and adequate source of backing up, thats why I got it in the first place. I dont have the kind of money available to buy a server and such. Second, Im not freaking cheating, Im asking for any ideas on a quick project, and if anyone would give me some pointers on it. Im not asking for code, or someone to do it for me. Lastly, shut up, really, just shut up..
                          • 25. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                            Do you really think being mean does anything
                            productive? Let me answer, no. My external harddrive
                            has been a reliable and adequate source of backing
                            up, thats why I got it in the first place. I dont
                            have the kind of money available to buy a server and
                            such. Second, Im not freaking cheating, Im asking for
                            any ideas on a quick project, and if anyone would
                            give me some pointers on it. Im not asking for code,
                            or someone to do it for me. Lastly, shut up, really,
                            just shut up..
                            Translation: "Boo hoo hoo someone on the internet is being mean to me! Rather than working on my project I'm going to waste time trying to justify some inane garbage to some random guy on the internet!"

We don't care if you're cheating or not. We don't care if you're an idiot or not. We cannot help you with your problem. Stop trying to justify nonsense to us, buckle down, and do your project.
                            • 26. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                              If you really want to get help, then you should stop being so combative. Ask specific questions, and you'll get specific answers. So far you've described the project as this:

Basically, it's a simple gui where I have a panel with two buttons, and 8-10 keys.

What part of that do you need help with? Can you add two buttons to a panel and display that? Do you know how to draw the keys? Do you know how to write the event listeners to respond to user actions? If you do, then start coding and post when you get stuck. If not, then post what you've tried so far, and ask your question. This is just my advice to help you get actual help, not just flames.
                              • 27. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                                Do you really think being mean does anything
                                productive? Let me answer, no. My external harddrive
                                has been a reliable and adequate source of backing
                                up, thats why I got it in the first place. I dont
                                have the kind of money available to buy a server and
                                such. Second, Im not freaking cheating, Im asking for
                                any ideas on a quick project, and if anyone would
                                give me some pointers on it. Im not asking for code,
                                or someone to do it for me. Lastly, shut up, really,
                                just shut up..
                                1) "being productive" is your aim in this thread, nobody elses. Your attitude sucks balls, but if you pay a bit of attention, "being mean" could well lead to something productive...
                                2) If he chooses not to shut up, what are you going to do about it?
                                • 28. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                                  1. try scandisk/checkdisk or whatever tool your OS uses to check for disk problems.
                                  2. Data recovery programs
                                  3. Data recovery services
                                  4. Simply recreate and explain the situation to teacher. It should go a bit smoother the second time around and not every teacher will penalize you severly for being a bit late. Get the basics working and if you have time then make it prettier. It is much more important to have something that will work than something that is perfect but not done.

Stop complaining and get something done. Good luck.
                                  • 29. Re: HELP!!!! Java Destroyed My gui
                                    Quoth the guy who said

Im sorry your mother never told you to read everything before you decide to be an *******. I DID make a backup you idiot.
                                    [...]
                                    So really, just trip over when you're on your way to that high pedestal you like to take online, and realize you comments are less sad than the person it originally came from...you.

about people he doesn't know.