1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2006 4:38 PM by 807597 RSS

More enrichment

jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
      The maintainance forum is promising to "enrich your forums experience " again.

They certainly aren't enriching my experience.

So I want to know exactly who out there asked for the recent changes?
        • 1. Re: More enrichment
          I'm amazed that they aren't taking better advantage of AJAX. Cutting edge stuff, but I don't see it being leveraged much here. A quick glance at the page source says it's still very much a purely JSP-based site. I couldn't see any evidence of XML requests being done.

I find I'm scrolling far more than I used to. Why not have a more dynamic page that would let you drill down by clicking on topics and opening up to the details?

I know - "be careful what you wish for". It might drive me crazy. But it'd be worth a try.

I think http://forum.springframework.org is much better. The problem is that it's PHP-based. It wouldn't do for Sun to base their Java forum on PHP.

But why not crib the best of what's available at Spring's forum and make it work as well or better in Java EE?

If I were running this forum, that's what I'd do. I've seen that same forum s/w running at other places besides Spring. I'll bet it's a nice, customizable forum framework. Maybe the Sun guys should get busy on trying to come up with a Java EE-based forum framework that's as good or better. Maybe even use Spring to help make it happen. If they run into trouble with Spring they can go over to the Spring forum for help.

%
          • 2. Re: More enrichment
            I find I'm scrolling far more than I used to.
            Yepp. But what irritates me is that I'm mostly scrolling sideways. <_<
            • 3. Re: More enrichment
              I know - "be careful what you wish for". It might drive me crazy. But it'd be worth a try.
              I have to use a similar structure for a course I'm taking, and it does drive me crazy. If Sun introduce that here it really will be the last straw which drives me away.
              • 4. Re: More enrichment
                DrClap
                So I want to know exactly who out there asked for the
                recent changes?
                Wasn't me. I could think of some simple changes that would enrich my forums experience, such as generating pages that you don't have to scroll left and right to read. But for some reason I get the feeling that isn't going to be one of the upcoming changes.
                • 5. Re: More enrichment
                  I'm betting the next "upgrade" is either a mauve color scheme or minty freshness.
                  • 6. Re: More enrichment
                    ...minty freshness.
                    Scratch and sniff?
                    • 7. Re: More enrichment
                      recent changes?
                      I have asked for some enrichement :)

I have asked them to revert to a previous state for this view:
                      http://forum.java.sun.com/category.jspa?categoryID=5

The view used to have the same information as e.g. the programming forum, where you can see who it is who have done the last post in a thread. That is, the "last post" column should also show the username of the last post.

I do usually only use that view when I read threads, and answer questions and I find it very hard to use that view when you can't see who it is who have done the last post.

Kaj
                      • 8. Re: More enrichment
                        Wow, found another feature: did anybody notice the non-working and therefore utterly useless "email this topic" and "edit this topic" links underneath a thread?
                        • 9. Re: More enrichment
                          > Wow, found another feature: did anybody notice the
                          non-working and therefore utterly useless "email this
                          topic" and "edit this topic" links underneath a
                          thread?

Yep. Reported the same day as the upgrade.

~
                          • 10. Re: More enrichment
                            As abuse, I hope.
                            • 11. Re: More enrichment
                              > As abuse, I hope.

Via the feedback form. It's been expressed by the web team that it's the way to go for this sort of thing.

~
                              • 12. Re: More enrichment
                                Via the feedback form. It's been expressed by the web
                                team that it's the way to go for this sort of thing.
                                I wish they'd go the same way the feedback goes...

Treated with all the care and love in the world, of course.
                                • 13. Re: More enrichment
                                  recent changes?
                                  I have asked for some enrichement :)

I have asked them to revert to a previous state for
                                  this view:
                                  http://forum.java.sun.com/category.jspa?categoryID=5
                                  I want to know who asked for the changes that actually got implemented.

Of course the many ones that are actually useful weren't implemented.
                                  • 14. Re: More enrichment
                                    I want to know who asked for the changes that
                                    actually got implemented.
                                    Wasn't me. You can't prove anything.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next