This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2010 9:56 PM by 843849 RSS

SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs

843849 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
This may be old news, but I just installed the SavaJe operating system on my Compaq iPAQ and it runs J2SE and PersonalJava applications much faster than on Jeode or any other VMs.

Apparently, SavaJe runs on StrongARM based devices and supports all Java 2, Standard Edition, JDK 1.3 APIs, libraries and classes natively on mobile devices. Does anyone else have any feedback?

Here are more information if you are interested:

http://java.sun.com/features/2001/06/savaje.html

Free evaluation download: http://www.savaje.com
  • 1. Re: SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs
    843849 Newbie
    What I don't like: To drop all my running data and applications in order to substitute the OS. And this is a requirement with the SavaJe.
    They might rethink their product...even for professional use this is a showstopper for me.
  • 2. Re: SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs
    843849 Newbie
    I guess you right. SavaJe is an operating system and it runs Java natively. I have seen over 20 times performance improvement over the best JVMs running Java on another operating system, like WinCE or Linux. I guess, you are either on the Java camp or you are not. If you want to run Windows application, you should use WinCE, but if you are serious about Java, then SavaJe is a choice.

What type of non-Java applications are you trying to run?
  • 3. Re: SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs
    843849 Newbie
    The main problem I've got with it is the size. Whilst I might be able to convince my users that it's a good idea to download and install PersonalJava or MIDP (for example) -- or, for that matter, manufacturers might decide to provide PJ or MIDP as a factory install -- I don't think I'd be able to convince them to download a full VM like Savaje.

Might work in a corporation, but for the general PDA-using population...?

To put it another way, if you're a developer writing an application for a device, you want to make sure as many users as possible can use (and pay for) your product. If you write it for PJava, then aren't you likely to have a larger user base?
  • 4. Re: SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs
    843849 Newbie
    This is an answer to westin_ma:
    I need to run C++ code, e.g. DLLs providing drivers, which are not provided alongside with Java. So there is definitely no option to drop the OS, as provided. Next is, I need access to the PIM functions and data; also no support from within Java. Reinventing the wheel is prohibitive. Having my application data synchronized to the database servers is also an unsupported essential - I intend to use one of the SQL databases available.
    I think my list clearly shows, why I cannot consider to drop the OS and replace it against savaje.
    Joachim
  • 5. Re: SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs
    843849 Newbie
    I guess, you are either on the Java camp or you are
    not. If you want to run Windows application, you
    should use WinCE, but if you are serious about Java,
    then SavaJe is a choice.
    A lot of customers see the PDA as a productivity tool and would like to see JAVA applications operating parallel to contact management, note taking and scheduling.
    So replacing is only available, if no other application is wanted besides the one your customer is paying you for.

This has nothing to do with being serious about JAVA.
    This is business. Nobody is paying us for reimplementing the pocket tools suite in JAVA so the PDA can be as productive as with PocketPC.

Oliver
  • 6. Re: SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs
    843849 Newbie
    Hi!westin_ma :

Can you give me SaveJe os.
    www.SaveJe.com
    It is not found,thanks.
  • 7. Re: SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs
    843849 Newbie
    Sorry!
    my E-mail:
    s9254062@cyut.edu.tw
  • 8. Re: SavaJe runs J2SE and PJava apps fast on iPAQs
    843849 Newbie
    i know m a bit too late with SavaJe but i desperately need it for the thing i am working on nowadays. i tried the savaje website but i cud not find anything there. can you point me in the right direction and if possible can you forward the os (if not bound by restrictions etc....).
    thanx