This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2008 2:00 AM by 843849 RSS

windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM

843849 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
got a new PDA, hp ipaq hx2495. Im a java geek so i want to start writing little java apps for it and wanted to ask where to start? what jre is recommended and where to get it, I see something about Jeode or J9 but i dont want to mess it up so i want to be sure before i install.

after i get a simple hello world running i then want to get Websphere mq everyplace running and putting some little mq messages on a qmgr on another omputer running wmq 5.3...

but first, small steps...I need a JRE or Java SDK and I am confused

anyone doing this on windows mobile 5 or similar?

thanks
  • 1. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    Hi

I'm starting the development of a J2ME application. The target device is an hp iPAQ, I don't know at the moment what model.

Until now I have discovered these informations:

The version of JAVA to use is PersonalJava, that is a CDC configuration of J2ME with full support of all optional packages (look at the sun pages for details).

TO COMPILE your application you can use classic javac compiler, using "-bootclasspath" as parameter to specify the library file that contains the PersonalJava implementation.

TO DEPLOY your application, you can package it in a conventional .jar file.

TO TEST your application on your local machine, you can download a J2ME JVM, like one of these:

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/fittond/ppcjava.html

some of these machines got a developer pack that includes a device emulator to test the application.

Good work

Verny
  • 2. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    You should send this to Sun for a J2ME FAQ :-) Very good!
    Hi

I'm starting the development of a J2ME application.
    The target device is an hp iPAQ, I don't know at the
    moment what model.

Until now I have discovered these informations:

The version of JAVA to use is PersonalJava, that is a
    CDC configuration of J2ME with full support of all
    optional packages (look at the sun pages for
    details).

TO COMPILE your application you can use classic javac
    compiler, using "-bootclasspath" as parameter to
    specify the library file that contains the
    PersonalJava implementation.

TO DEPLOY your application, you can package it in a
    conventional .jar file.

TO TEST your application on your local machine, you
    can download a J2ME JVM, like one of these:

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/fittond/pp
    cjava.html

some of these machines got a developer pack that
    includes a device emulator to test the application.

Good work

Verny
  • 3. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    Hi I'm about to do the same.

My research led me to the choice of J9 as it seems to be one of the moste powerful JVM, and is free.
    I think Jeode is not maintained anymore, it is now Esmertec's JBed which is not downloable, unless you're a phone manufacturer

Do you know if it is possible to add a JNI interface on these JVMs ? My need is to build an app that runs in the background, but I'd rather do it in JAVA, so that I can easily port it on PocketPC and Symbian.
    I thought I might do a launcher in native, or launch the J2ME app normally, but register it as a "service" in a native way.
    Do you think that is possible?
  • 4. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    Hi I'm about to do the same.

My research led me to the choice of J9 as it seems to
    be one of the moste powerful JVM, and is free.
    It's NOT free!
  • 5. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    yes its really cheap.
  • 6. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    yes its really cheap.
    Are you sure about that? I always heard it was $6, but then I see now you have to pay $599 up-front?

http://www.berka.name/stan/jvm-ppc/little_j9_howto.html
  • 7. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    yes its really cheap.
    Are you sure about that? I always heard it was $6,
    but then I see now you have to pay $599 up-front?

http://www.berka.name/stan/jvm-ppc/little_j9_howto.htm
    No: one VM costs about 6$. If you want the WebSphere Device Developer IDE, too, it costs about 599$!

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=X818AX51E969CB1B846D9A5E8XXCCBEX&platformId=2&N=96806&Ntt=websphere&productId=140997&R=140997
  • 8. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    I'm not a developer. I'm just looking for a JRE for my Windows Mobile 5.0 PPC. I've downloaded the CDC package from SUN but when I unzip it I get a directory called "Optimized_nosym". How does this translate to a JRE for PPC? How do I install on my PPC?

Thanks.
  • 9. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    Thus as conclusion. there are no buggyless, fast, free jvm for ppc or windows mobile 5?

If yes,
    what is the cheapest java solution/device
  • 10. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    for me it's not clear what the possibilies are, like on the main forum there is reclam for NetBeans Mobility Pack 5.0. But I think j2me is not good option for windows mobile 5. Plz consider the above questions
  • 11. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    Our Evaluation Runtime site has been updated at:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/zones/wireless/weme_eval_runtimes.html

Notable updates include CDC 1.1, Foundation 1.1, Personal Profile 1.1 on Windows XP, Windows Mobile 5.0 (Dell Axim x51 reference), Windows CE 5.0, (Intrinsyc CerfPod 270M reference), RH EL 4.

MIDP 2.0/CLDC 1.1 and CDC/Foundation/PersonalProfile 1.0 runtimes also still available.

Hopefully, the Handango versions will be updated. As stated, you only need to pay $5.99 for a single license. You do not need to license WSDD.
  • 12. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    I am an experienced j2se/j2ee guy, but my J2ME experience only started two nights ago. I downloaded J9 for WM5, and followed http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/midp/articles/wtoolkit/ to create my 1st Hello MIDP and was able to run it on my Motorola Q.

However, those J9 components are not signed (required for WM5), so I was prompted with warning messages every step of the way.

Can someone tell me how I can get the signed version of JVM? or am I allowed to sign the components with our own certificate? (legally)
  • 13. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    I have a Sprint PPC 6700. Love my phone, but I just want to run 1 java app on it. Can't figure out how to do anyhting.
  • 14. Re: windows mobile 5.0 (ce 5)  need JVM
    843849 Newbie
    i also use the Alltel versionof the utstarcom audiovox ppc 6700 love the phone but no java th os is windows mobile 5.0 is there any java packages thata are installable yet ..thinking of switching to the treo 650 but dont want too is i dont have too ... thanx

Message was edited by:
    alltel
1 2 Previous Next