10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2008 1:00 AM by 843851 RSS

Need an example for using the  Return Channel

Hi guys.
      I'm using XLetView for writing xlets and as far as i know it supports the Return channel interface.
      Now i want to learn how to use it for my application. I read the tutorial http://www.interactivetvweb.org/tutorial/mhp/returnchannel.shtml_ but it is not all clear to me.
      If i'm using XletView and i have a LAN internet connection on PC , what ConnectionParameters should i use ?

It would be very helpfull to me if someone can show me a full sample of using the return channel, connecting a remote webserver and retriving some data .

Thank you !
        • 1. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
          hi,

i would like to help you, but actually we don't use xletview to develop MHP apps because it's not up to date; we use real STB with debugging messages, they are more tight to the real world, in italy, and it matters.

but i believe i can help you.

here we provide some MHP engines, that works at least on the italian MHP STB:

http://www.cineca.tv/labs/mhplab/index-en.html

for example you can grab Yambo an MHP XML browser that works also over the return channel.

give the source code a quick glance and you'll find what you are after.

HTH

andrea venturi
          • 2. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
            Thank you for the response.

Would you please tell me some more information about the STB (with debugging messages) you are using ?
            How much does that cost ? Where can i get one ?

Thank you!
            • 3. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
              hi,

WRT development STB, it's difficult to say better but it seems that some boxes, like telesystem and strongsat, can be enabled to print out debugging messages on the serial port, albeit they don't have the ethernet connection, actually..

write me to my email a.venturi at cineca.it if you want to describe better what are you trying to achieve.

bye

andrea venturi
              • 4. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
                Hello I'm Abel

I am developing a MHP application using Osmosys SDK. I need too an example about how to connect my Xlet using the Return Channel with a application server to exchanges messages.

If you have any examples please post them.

Thank you
                • 5. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
                  Hello again.

in this link http://www.cineca.tv/labs/mhplab/index-en.html you may find wonderful examples of MHP applicacttions Open Source. Thanks to those people who makes our lives easier offering their applications under GPL license. Greetings Venturi
                  • 6. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
                    Hello,

I am also using the Osmosys SDK.
                    When i execute following code i get a null reference

RCInterface[] interfaces = manager.getInterfaces();

interfaces = null? Does this mean that i don't have a return channel available?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
                    • 7. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
                      Hi,

I'm new to Java TV technology.Current i'm on Struts Framework.I'm very interest to learn Java TV technology.
                      how to develop a sample application.Could you suggest basic tutorial for java tv application development or links.
                      plese help me.

Thanks & Regards,

Prasad.P
                      • 8. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
                        A very late reply but maybe somebody has use for it.

When the manager returns null, it does not mean you do not have a return channel available. It means there are no interfaces.

Let me explain. I have a stb which only has an ethernet port. The manager return null. But i can use the RC. The ethernet port only needs an ip adress which could be provided by DHCP. HttpUrlConnection

If the STB has a modem port the manager should return some interfaces. Using a modem you need to use an dailup account. That needs an interface.
                        • 9. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
                          Interesting - you see that behavior, where org.dvb.net.rc.RCInterfaceManager fails to return an RCInterface on a device with an ethernet connection?

I would contend that this behavior is an implementation bug. There is a return connection interface - it's that Ethernet port - and it should be reported with an instance of RCInterface - probably TYPE_OTHER. RCInterface is a very easy API to implement in a case like this - it's really just a pre-baked constant that always returns the same value (and that value doesn't really tell you anything about whether or not it's plugged in, just that it exists).

If you see boxes with return channels that don't return an RCInterface value, might I suggest that you file a bug report with the implementation vendor? It's admittedly not the most important API in the world, since its real utility was modem control, but still, it's good to get these bugs fixed. It enhances interoperability.

Cheers,

Bill
                          • 10. Re: Need an example for using the  Return Channel
                            I'm in the same situation, another web for get information or Xlet source code?