4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2009 9:53 PM by 843851 RSS

installing jvm in set-top-box.

I am very much new to javaTV api. I have downloaded xletview and tested sample xlets which are working fine. Now i wanted to run in set-top-box. I have test set-top-box which has linux OS loaded on it. Now i wanted to load jvm, javaTV api and my sample xlets on it. Please help me how to do this.
        • 1. Re: installing jvm in set-top-box.
          Your STB allows you to do that? What STB is?
          • 2. Re: installing jvm in set-top-box.
            hi,
            i have to say you are really short of info to get back a really useful answer..
            your task can be EASY or THOUGH, it depends on which model of STB you are targetting..
            anyway i can tell you that there's at least an already working open source platform to get a java vm running on a STB, it's called Jet.
            You can find all the details in [Avalpa web site|http://www.avalpa.com/component/content/article/12-newsflash/43-jet-20-is-out] . It's all open source and we are striving to make it a viable business doing professional services on top of it.

Of course it's based on a proven java virtual machine called phoneme , thanx again to Sun Microsystems for this free software release!

There's so much to say about this project but it's better to stop here and wait to see if there's interest ongoing. you can of course write me a private message..

Hope that helps, otherwise please elaborate your environment and your expectations.

Bye

Andrea Venturi

Edited by: aventuri on Mar 6, 2009 12:03 PM
            Tell about Sun Phoneme Java Vm..
            • 3. Re: installing jvm in set-top-box.
              The projects seems really interesting. I've downloaded it and I'm taking a look at it.

Is there anyway to have Jet running on a PC?
              • 4. Re: installing jvm in set-top-box.
                the short answer is that you CAN'T take Jet out of a STB as the "meat" is really about:

- a clever driver for the SOC (with all the accelleration correctly implemented)

- the JNI libraries that expose the HW features to the Java VM

- the DSMCC client for datacasting and application download

The GUI actually is only the cherry on the pie as it just implements a very thin user interface to all (some, would be better..) the feature underlying..
                this area would really need some polishing and further design and development. (and something more should coming as we have a funding on the way..)

bye

Andrea