5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2009 6:52 AM by 843851 RSS

debug in xlet

Hi people!

I develop some xlet stuff using XleTView (I write the code in Eclipse and run in XleTView).
      But how the complexity of things increases, it's hard to work wihtout a debug mode.
      How do you handle with this?
        • 1. Re: debug in xlet
          Please see some of my recent posts about getting JavaTV working in JRE 1.6 .

It seems like all of the activity is over at the [BD-J forum|http://forums.java.net/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=117&start=0] anyways.

Edited by: AndrewMorrow on Oct 20, 2008 4:03 AM
          • 2. Re: debug in xlet
            Commercial SDKs have their own debug methods. If you can't work with them, you will have to adapt to the exceptions output and investigate why and where they come from. A good (as good as it can be with this method) option is adding System.out.println methdos over the code explaining what is doing the app. Once you know that some parts work good, delte the println.

Archaic, but may work ;)
            • 3. Re: debug in xlet
              FWIW, it's even more harrowing once you start targeting real devices. The good news, though, is that once you get used to it, debugging with little-to-no tool support isn't so bad :-)

For example, over in Blu-ray land, you pretty much can't get System.out.println() most of the time you're on a real player. However, with a bit of work, you can add a debug screen to just about any xlet. A great example of this is the GenericXlet stuff in HD cookbook, which is used e.g. in the GrinBunny game and the Playground xlet. Both of them have a debug screen you get to by pressing the popup menu key. Messages sent to the debug log (via com.hdcookbook.util.Debug.println()) are just held in an ArrayList<String> in memory, and presented on that screen. There's also an option to get to the debug log via telnet, if you're fortunate enough to be on a BD-Live player.

All of these techniques transfer directly over to OCAP, for when you need to test/develop/debug on a real device. It wouldn't take much to move GenericXlet over to OCAP, with debug log and all.

• 4. Re: debug in xlet
                sorry to write it here, but how do you think about the future of GEM/OCAP/MHP/BDJ?
                Is it dying in some market area of the world and then all of the market?
                • 5. Re: debug in xlet
                  I think that you can load the Xletview or OpneMHP project in Eclipse and then execute the emulator through the debuger in Eclipse