This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2008 10:46 PM by 843851 RSS

Where to get the best help for Java TV application development?

843851 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Not sure if this forum or forums in general is the correct place to post, so I am sorry in advance if I am posting this in the wrong place.

My company is working on developing some new applications for TV in Java and we currently do not have the right expertise in house. Rather than spending lots of time posting all our questions on this forum, I am wondering if there is another resource we can tap into to get immediate help.

Is there a place we can find Java experts, and in particular those who have direct experience with developing for TV applications or TV like applications?

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
  • 1. Re: Where to get the best help for Java TV application development?
    843851 Newbie
    Hi Chris,

I teach a 5-day OCAP course for developers for Vidiom Systems. (OCAP is the JavaTV-based platform being deployed in the US cable market.) The course is OCAP-specific but the vast majority is directly applicable to other JavaTV-based platforms like MHP and Blu-ray.
    You can find out more about it here: http://www.vidiom.com/services/training.html or e-mail me [adirkse (at) vidiom (dot) com] for more information.

Anne
  • 2. Re: Where to get the best help for Java TV application development?
    843851 Newbie
    Dear Chris,

Yes, as Anne's reply recommended, a few days course of Java-TV related subject is good for you.

And if I can add more information in case you are not capable of above,

I recommend

http://www.tvwithoutborders.com/

which is good resources to start with, I think.

And Steve (author of the site) is happy to answer questions.

Sung-Jin.
  • 3. Re: Where to get the best help for Java TV application development?
    843851 Newbie
    hi,

if you want some stuff to start learning and doing, you can get to [Cineca interactive television development area|http://www.cineca.tv/labs/mhplab/index-en.html] :

Here you'll find some useful free software and resources created in the last 4 years of our involvement in Italian interactive television market.

They are not only focused on client side (MHP free xlets) but also useful for the server side.
    Our first project was the carousel server JustDvb-IT that is feeding applications on the transport stream of the broadcaster.

Then we have also a project for an open source middleware overcoming some MHP critical points, actually called JTVOS.

BTW, we have done also training and consultancy but i believe that we are a little far as we are based in Italy.

Bye and hope it helps.

Andrea Venturi

Edited by: aventuri on May 17, 2008 5:39 AM
  • 4. Re: Where to get the best help for Java TV application development?
    843851 Newbie
    Just wanted to say thanks to all those who provided some great ideas of where to start.
    I will look into these options.

Considering our time schedule. It seems like we might also have to consider bringing someone already experienced on board with us. Does anyone know of any experienced developers who might be able to help out.

Thanks again.
    Chris
  • 5. Re: Where to get the best help for Java TV application development?
    843851 Newbie
    It depends on where you are located.

We are based in Italy and are available for consultancy and development all over Europe.
    If you are interested, write me to aventuri [at] dev.java.net

bye
  • 6. Re: Where to get the best help for Java TV application development?
    843851 Newbie
    The thing is that there is actually not much people in this field but a Java expert can easily pick up Java TV Environment. Even if he is not familiar with. And Java Experts who have the background of electronics are more preferable in case of Java TV Application Development. Hope my comments will help you...
  • 7. Re: Where to get the best help for Java TV application development?
    843851 Newbie
    +"Then we have also a project for an open source middleware overcoming some MHP critical points, actually called JTVOS."+

Talking about... Brasil has just released the open source middleware Ginga. The Java environment isn't ready yet, but there is already a declarative environment based in NCL (a extension of XML), that is much easier to handle than Java, although not so powerful.