1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2005 11:29 AM by 843851 RSS

Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?

I have searched the forums to find nothing but questions with no answers. Can someone help me find out if it's possible to install/use Java on Pocket PC/WinCE? If so, can someone help me out? Thanks, Jeremy
        • 1. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
          download the developing environment in desktop PC first, the JDK older version, such as JDK 1.1.8 and 1.2;
          then download personal java TM runtime environment for windows CE, the free one is version 1.1, you can download from here: http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/PersonalJava/, hopefully it is still there.
          third, download personal java emulation environment for simulate your program in desktop PC, PJEE 3.02 is fine.
          http://java.sun.com/products/PersonalJava/pj-emulation.html

Is it what you want to know?
          • 2. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
            Neither link works. I'll do some searching of my own but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Thanks, Jeremy
            • 3. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
              The following link will give you a good idea of both free and commercialized Java support on PocketPC.

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/fittond/ppcjava.html#ewe

I found the link helpful but it doesn't solve my problem, i.e., trying to install JVM under PocketPC 2002 to run Java application. I have a Java application that runs well in jdk 1.4.1_02 and I am trying to run it in PDA. Let me know if you find the solution to my problem. In the mean time, keep researching:-)

Thanks...Jimmy
              • 4. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                I use Creme from NSICom. It is a vm for PocketPC and Win CE[.NET]. You can run your apps there. It has some nice features: RMI, Swing, comm-api...

Louis
                • 5. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                  I use J9 from IBM. Seems to work pretty well.
                  • 6. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                    I use Jeode, which only implements the PersonalJava standard, but is reliable and things like JDBC and JNI work well.

Not much use if you want to go beyond PersonalJava though!

Simon.
                    • 7. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                      I have tried both of these links. Neither of them seem to be operational anylonger (as of Nov 15).

Can you tell me where else I might go for a OpenSource JVM for WinCE?

Also, I am using Netbeans 3.5 (I used to use Forte) to develop my Java applications.. So an emulator that works within the environment is needed too.. Can you point me in the right direction to find an WinCE emulator that works within the Netbeans IDE confines?

Kind Regards
                      Sean
                      download the developing environment in desktop PC
                      first, the JDK older version, such as JDK 1.1.8 and
                      1.2;
                      then download personal java TM runtime environment for
                      windows CE, the free one is version 1.1, you can
                      download from here:
                      http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/Per
                      onalJava/, hopefully it is still there.
                      third, download personal java emulation environment
                      for simulate your program in desktop PC, PJEE 3.02 is
                      fine.
                      http://java.sun.com/products/PersonalJava/pj-emulation.
                      tml

Is it what you want to know?
                      • 8. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                        http://java.sun.com/products/personaljava/pj-emulation.html

http://java.sun.com/products/personaljava/
                        • 9. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                          I have installed the jvm, but when trying to run it complains about pjava not being found.
                          I have looked everywhere for this, but can't locate a pjava to install on my pocket pc.
                          Is there a cab, jar, zip or something somewhere that actually contains this?

John
                          • 10. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                            have successfully downloaded the WinCE emulator pj-emulator.. thanks
                            but i am still in search of an OpenSource JVM that I can use on a WinCE platform.
                            I have searched all over the personal java pages, to include the early access
                            pages and have not had any luck finding a JVM for a pocketPC running WinCE
                            or PocketPC..

I have tried to buy CrEem from the publishers but they only sell in lots
                            of 1000, and are unable to point me in the direction of reseller that will
                            sell me a single license at a reasonable price.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
                            thanks

• 11. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                              I am also starting out to develop java applications for the Pocket PC.

I'm trying a free product called ewe, http://www.ewesoft.com. It lets you develop and run your programs on your native environment (eg windows) and then deploy/run the program on the Pocket PC (and other handheld platforms). You can't use standard java libraries though. For example instead of System.out.println() you have to use Vm.out().println(). Porting my simple program was easy.

So far it works well for me, but I've only run my simple programs on WIndows.

I'd like to have a Pocket PC emulator to run them on before I actually go out and buy a Pocket PC. I found a Pocket PC emulator from microsoft but it won't run the ewe installer. I think ewe is assuming your pocket PC is another processor architecture (MIPS, ARM, etc) but the emulator apepars to be an x86 setup. I'm waiting to hear from the support forum at ewesoft what I can do.
                              • 12. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                                is there a free JVM J2ME CDLC for PocketPC Strong ARM WinCe?
                                • 13. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                                  Hi,I tried to run an application that playback a file.wav on iPAQ, but the console throws an exception saying:
                                  exception in thread: "JMF thread :com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@6af(prefetchThread)", java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/sound/sampled/AudioFormat.
                                            at com.sun.media.render.audio.device.JavaSoundOutput.convertFormat()
                                            at com.sun.media........
                                            at com.sun.media........

so, i copied sound.jar and jfm.jar togheter in same folder where is my application.
                                  Now it throws an other exception:
                                  Unable to handle format:LINEAR, 22050.0 Hz, 16-bit, Mono LittleEndian, Signed, 44100.0 frame rate, FrameSize=16 bits
                                  Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngime@451
                                  Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun..media..PlaybackEngine@451
                                  Why this??? How can i work with audio on iPAQ?????
                                  • 14. Re: Java on WinCE/Pocket PC?
                                    May I develop program for WinCE/PocketPc with J2me ? Is it like coding with J2me generally ?
                                    And where can I download about the emulator for WinCE/Pocket PC ?
                                    Thank you for your sincerely.

Best regards

Fendy w
                                    1 2 Previous Next