7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2010 3:55 AM by 663057 RSS

How to set Java Heap Size ?

Hi,

As this is my fresh installation of planning, essbase and Shared services, i would like to set heap size between (128 MB-1024 MB). I am using Tomcat Appache server. Kindly suggest, how to set heap size? and when should i go to set this heap size. any specific order (i mean after hyperion shared services) or i can set anytime?

Is this correct? Start > regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HyperionSolutions\HyperionPlanning\HyS9Planning
      -Xms 64m---> -Xms128m
      -Xmx512m ----->-Xmx1024m

Version 9.3.1
      OS windows 2003 sp2
      Apache tomcat app server
        • 1. Re: How to set Java Heap Size ?
          JohnGoodwin
          Hi,

Yes that is the correct registry entry and those are the correct options to set to increase the minimum and maximum heap size.
          Just make the changes in the registry and then restart the planning service and the new values should be picked up.

Cheers

John
          http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
          • 2. Re: How to set Java Heap Size ?
            Thanks John for the help.

i have three options to set heap size:

Option 1: install all component of hyperion then i set heap size one by one for appache server.

Option 2: install and configure and migrate applications and data then at last lat heap size.

option 3: install and set heap size for appache sever one by one then move to other hyperion component.

Though it seams i should set heap size in any order at any time. or should i fallow any order for setting heap size?

Do i also need to edit D:\Hyperion\common\config\registry.properties for licence control.
            • 3. Re: How to set Java Heap Size ?
              JohnGoodwin
              You can set the heap size at any time, once everything is up and running as expected then you can look at changing the heap size.
              If you have not had to change registry.properties in the past then there shouldn't really be a reason to do so now.

Cheers

John
              • 4. Re: How to set Java Heap Size ?
                Hi John,

This is fresh installation and should i skip to change registry.properties.
                I am not sure about changes in registry.properties in the past as it was not done by me. what is best option?

Version 9.3.1, Essbase, Planning.

Edited by: Kumar 1 on Oct 18, 2010 1:54 AM
                • 5. Re: How to set Java Heap Size ?
                  Hi John

I need some clarification regarding java heap size. is it possible to set heap size more than 1GB? as according to my knowledge it will not go beyond 1GB for each product.

Thanks
                  SNK
                  • 6. Re: How to set Java Heap Size ?
                    Hi John,

I am not sure about changes in registry.properties in the past as it was not done by me. what is best option?

• 7. Re: How to set Java Heap Size ?
                      JohnGoodwin
                      Kumar 1  wrote:
                      Hi John,

Edited by: Kumar 1 on Oct 18, 2010 1:54 AM
                      If you go to :- http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E10530_01/doc/epm.931/hsys9_install_start_here.pdf
                      Section "About registry.properties"
                      It should give you idea if you need to change any of the settings depending on the products you are licensed for.

Cheers

John