1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 118 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 6:25 PM by 6363 Go to original post
      • 45. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
        SomeoneElse
        Yipeeeeee......I can actually get here without the splash screen today!!!!!!
        Don't jinx it!

"Yep, it looks like smooth sailing"

"Nothing could go wrong now"
        • 46. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
          munky
          >
          that Oracle provides a R&D environment for us, and let us build an Open Source Jives replacement using Oracle, PL/SQL and Apex
          >
          You could do that to an extent with apex.oracle.com already... I'm happy to set it up if anyone is interested? (can be done in about 10 minutes)

Cheers

Ben
          • 47. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
            Boneist
            Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
            Okay.. but how do you best wear them to impress the girls? Like this +<striking an Apollo god-like pose>+ ? Or this +<striking a James Dean burning-looks-in-red-jacket pose>+ ?
            Very ..... fetching.
            Boneist.. what do you think? And why are you laughing so hard? ?:|
            {noformat}*wipes eyes*{noformat}

You'll have to wait until I've the breath to pick myself up from off the floor for an answer to your question! *{;-)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
            • 48. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
              Dude!
              After reading a few more, older, posts, I think I can understand some of the controversies about the reward system - I was not aware that a few years ago, reward points were given just by posting.

I think points as a reward for "correct or helpful" answers are fine, but should not be mixed up with a posting score, which should be separate, and it should be possible to distinguish, even in retrospect.

I think feedback is very important, and I feel good for every "green star" I received for giving a correct answer, technically totally correct or not. Anything wrong with this? The HP itrc forum, for instance, allows to reward points based on a scale for every answer, not just "one correct" or "helpful, which is also nice.

Perhaps there were software technical limits that may excuse this. Actually I think to reward answers and to close a thread should be made mandatory by reminders or displaying appropriate statistics with the users avatar. If a user has a long history not appreciate help, I do not want to help, unless it's my job.

Edited by: waldorfm on Oct 20, 2010 8:19 AM
              • 49. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                Boneist
                waldorfm wrote:
                I was not aware that a few years ago, reward points were given just by posting.
                As an OTN forum regular, neither was I!

No reward points were given prior to the "upgrade" to the version of Jive we are on now. The post count was just that, a way of saying <strike>"I've wasted a lot of time on these forums!"</strike> "I've posted a lot!". Granted, you did get a different coloured turnip / radish (definitions vary from person to person) depending on how many posts you'd made, but that wasn't a "reward"!

I would say that post count is a fairly good indicator of helpfulness/knowledge - people who are obnoxious, rude or just plain incorrect don't generally hang around long enough to get too large a post count! There are always going to be people who see post-count/reward points as something to aim for, rather than just aiming to help people.
                I think points as a reward for "correct or helpful" answers are fine, but should not be mixed up with a posting score, which should be separate, and it should be possible to distinguish, even in retrospect.
                It's always been easy to differentiate; post count is still there and is completely separate to the reward points.
                • 50. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                  Jeez..have you seen how many posts some people make? They must do little else but read these forums and post to them. I want that job please :-)

G
                  • 51. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                    Dude!
                    Boneist wrote
                    There are always going to be people who see post-count/reward points as something to aim for, rather than just aiming to help people.
                    Sounds like going for reward points is a bad thing, why?

Does it matter what intentions people have to provide free help, as long as they help - one obviously does not get reward points for not helping.

What is wrong to expect a thanks for helping? Some people are just rude or ignorant, or too much under stress to say thank you, and a reward system, a matter of a click and some nagware can compensate for this.

Edited by: waldorfm on Oct 20, 2010 10:50 AM

Anyway, up to Oracle, after all it's Oracle's system and Oracle is benefiting the most from this forum monetary support wise. I would just be afraid the forum becomes less attractive for many frequent posters if there was no more reward system one way or the other. If I was Oracle I would actually reward helpful users, e.g. give them free metalink access, etc.
                    • 52. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                      Nicolas Gasparotto
                      All these issues with forum's migration, upgrade... give matter for my next article about it. Following the previous upgrade disaster, echoing Justin's article [500|http://blogs.oracle.com/otn/2008/08/500.html] , I wrote [28 days later|http://gasparotto.blogspot.com/2008/09/otn-forums-28-days-later-what-else.html] , then [28 weeks later|http://gasparotto.blogspot.com/2009/03/otn-forums-28-weeks-later.html] , now the pandemy restarts all over again, time to go for +28 months later+. Just in time for that movie, maybe out next year.
                      Unless someone find a antidote against that virus, or end of the forum is announced. Anyway, good luck to the OTN forum team !

Nicolas.
                      • 53. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                        jgarry
                        Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                        Darryl Burke wrote:

Heck, the 386 system I worked on (which included a 'dumb' PC as a remote terminal, one color and one mono monitor, Xenix, DOS and the usual software of those days -- SCO Professional, Lyrix, foxbase, GWBASIC, WordStar, IMAGineThat(sp?) ...) cost the company about as much as 2-3 new cars.
                        Eish...

Xenix huh? Never ran across it. Back then we did mostly Sinix (Siemens), Irix (Silicon Graphics) and Reliant Unix (Pyramid Systems) on RISC based chipsets. And some SCO in-between. And weird stuff too. Like interfacing to SNA via LU6.2, running dedicated SLIP servers. Even using Microsoft's LAN Manager instead of the more traditional NFS, natively on SVR4.
                        Xenix was a Microsoft thing which begat SCO unix, so you did run across it, kinda like SS people have run across Sybase. Bill Gates invented unix and the internet and databases, don't you know. But seriously, the history is interesting and enlightening, note especially the dates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix

Don't forget Banyan Vines, making unix look like ms-dos.

>
                        The really kewl thing was getting a Posix sub-system (running a lot of basic SRV4 Unix stuff) in a mainframe o/s - which provided a lot of flexibility for integrating mainframes with Unix servers.
                        There was a DEC-oriented magazine article at one point about Posix on VMS, that (half-seriously) claimed it made VMS more unix than unix.

>
                        Only when NT 3.5 came around did I get into x86 based server hardware... and this was a some time after the 386 chipset. Except for Linux though.. I recall building kernels on my 386 PC (with a whopping 4MB of RAM "borrowed" from a couple of X-terminals) before going to bed, as it took quite a while to compile and link. Hmm.. that PC running Linux could have been a candidate for running OTN..
                        I have some boxes full of 5.25" slackware... and the drive is still on my Frankenbox in the basement...

>
                        So how about it? We pool our old 386's together into a little cluster and run OTN for Oracle... on DOS and dBase, using Novel's LAN Workplace for DOS that included an IP stack? :-)
                        And we can run the thinnet under the carpet. (And people think I'm joking...)
                        • 54. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                          Dude!
                          Thanks for the response. I read some of the statements. Old users leave and new users come because of a reward system. It sounds to me some feel that credit or reward does not go to where it belongs, so it's better not to have a reward system? There can never be a perfect system, so why not leave it up to the OP to judge. Someone gets points for posting a link - why not? Points for copying someone else's old post - so they do care about a reward? Points for giving a wrong answer - is it a general problem? Patronizing or abandon the forums - I hope not.

Edited by: waldorfm on Oct 20, 2010 12:45 PM

Why doesn't Oracle give loyal contributors to the forum some kind of a general unique one time only reward when introducing new reward rules? There are endless possibilities, but I would imagine less people will be dissatisfied.
                          • 55. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                            SomeoneElse
                            so it's better not to have a reward system?
                            I kind of like the system used in the Amazon.com forums.

It's a thumbs up, thumbs down on every post in the thread. And everyone can vote on all of them, not just the OP.

Really bad posts can be voted down to the point where they are hidden from view.
                            • 56. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                              Billy~Verreynne
                              SomeoneElse wrote:
                              so it's better not to have a reward system?
                              I kind of like the system used in the Amazon.com forums.
                              And youtube and many others...
                              It's a thumbs up, thumbs down on every post in the thread. And everyone can vote on all of them, not just the OP.

Really bad posts can be voted down to the point where they are hidden from view.
                              +<thumbs up>+
                              • 57. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                Hoek
                                What if it's a materialized view? Or is that markable as 'not OK'? ;)

Some thread you started by the way, very nice to read all this :)
                                Splash screen seems to be gone over here for the past four hours, and for those who care about their points: they're back also.

[not being serious]
                                Only one thing: I noticed that I used to have 982,141,104 points, whereas currently I'm way below 10,000 points all of a sudden.
                                Don't know what happened during migration, and it's 'no real fuzz' for me, except for the fact that some guy calling himself Larry E. emailed me and promised me that I could cash my points in $.That mail was dated before the migration, by the way...
                                Any ideas, anyone?
                                [not being serious]
                                • 58. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                  hoek wrote:

Splash screen seems to be gone over here for the past four hours, and for those who care about their points: they're back also.
                                  Bah.

Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today

The cockroach theory wins out again.

Re: how did i get the points?

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2006/02/23/1567313.htm

The bit about them being able to survive without a head is particularly appropriate.
                                  • 59. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                    Hoek
                                    :)
                                    The bit about them being able to survive without a head is particularly appropriate.
                                    Chickens seem to be capable of that as well, although for a lesser span of time...or is that: they're 'being moderated' sooner?

Time to invent a database that 'radiates the roaches away' anyway ;)
                                    Conan the Bacterian ROFL
                                    But, yes: bah/meh and so on ;)
                                    1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next