1 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next 118 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 6:25 PM by 6363 Go to original post
      • 60. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
        darrylburke
        SomeoneElse wrote:
        Actually, I thought the Oracle forums were just fine until the major Jive upgrade. (Was that about 2 years ago? 3?)
        I guess that was the same up(?)grade that messed up the Sun forums for about 3 weeks, by which time the new posts were down to about 20 per day and JavaRanch got a lot of new members.

db
        • 61. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
          darrylburke
          sourdoughwannab wrote:
          Oh, and sorry it's not quantity (of posts or dukes) which impresses us gals, it's quality (of posts)!!!!! ;-)
          You mean size (of posts)!!!!! really doesn't matter? ;)

db
          • 62. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
            darrylburke
            waldorfm wrote:
            Boneist wrote
            There are always going to be people who see post-count/reward points as something to aim for, rather than just aiming to help people.
            Sounds like going for reward points is a bad thing, why?

Does it matter what intentions people have to provide free help, as long as they help - one obviously does not get reward points for not helping.
            I beg to differ. On the Java side, at least, posting complete, working code without any explanation does not help the OP, but a steady succession of what we used to call Dukes wh°res would do just that, and 'earn' Dukes and/or green stars in the process.
            What is wrong to expect a thanks for helping? Some people are just rude or ignorant, or too much under stress to say thank you, and a reward system, a matter of a click and some nagware can compensate for this.
            I value a simple "Thank you" (even better with a specific comment on how the answer helped) over any points system, and rather feel that being able to click a link and put up a green or yellow star is perceived by many OPs as absolving them from the need to express their thanks in words.
            Anyway, up to Oracle, after all it's Oracle's system and Oracle is benefiting the most from this forum monetary support wise. I would just be afraid the forum becomes less attractive for many frequent posters if there was no more reward system one way or the other. If I was Oracle I would actually reward helpful users, e.g. give them free metalink access, etc.
            IMHO that would lead to even more wh°ring even to the extent of gaming the system by creating multiple accounts to feed each other points. Yes, we've seen that too (and I'm sure it must have happened here) even without any physical rewards being associated with the points.

db
            • 63. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
              darrylburke
              SomeoneElse wrote:
              so it's better not to have a reward system?
              I kind of like the system used in the Amazon.com forums.

It's a thumbs up, thumbs down on every post in the thread. And everyone can vote on all of them, not just the OP.
              Sounds a lot like the StackOverflow system.
              Really bad posts can be voted down to the point where they are hidden from view.
              Now that  is something I would add to my wish list.

db
              • 64. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                Hoek
                Now that is something I would add to my wish list.
                Well...yes and no...because:
                In the end, it's still in 'the eye of the beholder'.
                Whether it's only an OP to 'judge' or a whole bunch of 'viewers/experts' that can 'judge'...
                It won't make much of a difference, I'm afraid.
                I've seen interesting/amazing topics here that died very quickly, and some dreaded discussions go on for ages and ages.
                But that's just imo. If we all get a 'vote for life or death'-button, I'm not sure what will happen.
                But actually, I don't think things will change a lot.

For the record: I'm not interested in points/status, what I like about OTN is the fact that I learn something from reading here every day and participating.
                What wonders me, after participating actively for about 2 years now, is the fact that some 'Oracle WTF's' are still alive...
                Like the 'classic' treating DATE's as NUMBERS or STRINGS.., every week I see questions related to that passing by on the SQL and PL/SQL forum.
                Some people must still be training innocent, eager-to-learn other people such crap ( not s h o e ).
                Nowadays it makes me grumpy, because since in the year of 2010 we all ought to know better...
                At least, that was one of the assumptions I made, and learned to regret.
                Evolution still has a long way to go, and migration will always be a step behind of evolution.

edit

So:
                Hence the splash-screens lately, I guess ;)
                We're evoluting!

Edited by: hoek on Oct 21, 2010 4:44 AM

Or still migrating....

blip and off and totally confused wondering about time and relativity

Edited by: hoek on Oct 21, 2010 4:46 AM
                • 65. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                  Dude!
                  Darryl Burke wrote:
                  I value a simple "Thank you" (even better with a specific comment on how the answer helped) over any points system, and rather feel
                  that being able to click a link and put up a green or yellow star is perceived by many OPs as absolving them from the need to express their thanks in words.
                  I often get both, if I get any, a written thanks and a green star. From my experience, OP's have never explained how a solution helped them. I value both, but don't mind if someone just prefers to click on a "thank you" and move on.
                  I beg to differ. On the Java side, at least, posting complete, working code without any explanation does not help the OP ....
                  Some OP's just ask for the time and are not interested how the clock works - I respect that. Whether or not they will be successful is another questions and I can outline my concerns. It is sometimes possible to gather from a post if the OP needs just the package and move on, or is interested how something really works. I would leave it up to the OP to decide. If some OP gives a green star for a wrong answer, I don't see a problem unless I belive I gave the right answer without a reward. But, that's the nature of the beast - more luck next time.
                  IMHO that would lead to even more wh°ring even to the extent of gaming the system by creating multiple accounts to feed each other points. Yes, we've seen >>that too (and I'm sure it must have happened here) even without any physical rewards being associated with the points.
                  Maybe, sounds likely, but there are so called black sheeps in every system - that's no reason....
                  • 66. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                    Billy~Verreynne
                    hoek wrote:

Evolution still has a long way to go, and migration will always be a step behind of evolution.
                    Simply put - mankind is a pretty messed up specie. And it ain't getting better. So should the Earth need to be demolished for a hyperspatial express route or hyperspace bypass, I for one would not object at all.. and simply grab the closest towel.
                    • 67. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                      SomeoneElse
                      and simply grab the closest towel.
                      Don't forget your electronic thumb.
                      • 68. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                        BluShadow
                        And the few pints of beer and packets of peanuts. ;)
                        • 69. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                          Billy~Verreynne
                          Great. So we'll meet up at Basingstoke station then when the announcement is made about the imminent destruction of Earth and hitch a ride together?
                          • 70. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                            jgarry
                            Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                            SomeoneElse wrote:
                            so it's better not to have a reward system?
                            I kind of like the system used in the Amazon.com forums.
                            And youtube and many others...
                            The problem is, popularity is the wrong metric for technical postings. I like Wookies riding giant squirrels and blowing away nazi's as much as the next geek (for those who don't get the reference, google inglorious wookies), but that won't help me figure out why my cpu is choking.

There are even on-point examples on Amazon - several Oracle authors have been extremely popular, with only one or two people pointing out their massive errors, leading to flame wars here and on usenet.

>
                            It's a thumbs up, thumbs down on every post in the thread. And everyone can vote on all of them, not just the OP.

Really bad posts can be voted down to the point where they are hidden from view.
                            +<thumbs up>+
                            Actually, like really bad movies becoming camp, the worst posts should be voted up and debunked for all to see. What needs to be voted down are the meaningless posts. And that is tough to define. For example, "How can I do a database health check?" could mean someone really has a bad idea of how to evaluate their database, or it could mean they are using a useful tool that someone called that as part of a larger evaluation. The answers could reflect that, and the evaluations of the answers could be way off.
                            • 71. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                              Billy~Verreynne
                              Joel. I do not really agree with your analysis because of one factor - indifference. A quintessential human characteristic. Most here will simply not care about upvoting or downvoting a posting (unless there is a personal and non-technical issue at hand).

Those who will vote will be the ones that are regulars here and not indifferent - and who want to see that the correct and relevant responses are prominent in a thread.

It is also a much better approach at "+scoring+" as it removes the scoring of responses from a single person looking for an answer, to a wider audience of people that are (mostly) looking at providing accurate and relevant answers.

Also, it removes the "+ego factor+" as scoring is no longer about a person collecting personal reward points, but postings collecting upvotes/downvotes for accuracy. In other words, no longer about scoring an individual, but scoring answers.
                              • 72. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                Dude!
                                I'm not sure about indifference being a quintessential human characteristic. I'm not a philosopher or shrink, and I would rather consider indifference a psychological or social factor. But I think that a strive for ego and expression are common characteristics in the forums and would put my vote in for a up/down scoring system, because I believe it might result in more objectiveness.
                                • 73. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                  darrylburke
                                  Re: upvoting and downvoting - http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2lbIZu/www.doxdesk.com/img/updates/20091116-so-large.gif

db
                                  • 74. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                    Billy~Verreynne
                                    So you're saying that the JQuery plugin does not help with weightloss? :D
                                    1 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next