Hoek
      I knew this would happen²

Edited by: hoek on Oct 19, 2010 6:30 PM

Silliy gits

Edited by: hoek on Oct 19, 2010 6:31 PM
      • 16. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
        jgarry
        hoek wrote:
        Isn't flushing shared pools a kind of 'pre-9i-thing' to do? ;)
        But yes: all seems stable again for now, but the 'self fixing'-powers this forum sofware seems to posess, really scares me :)
        I'd call Jive Precambrian, it's barely risen out of the primordial goo. At least pre-9i has dinosaurs.

Got the splash screen a lot until a few minutes ago.
        • 17. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
          Hoek
          I guess we were all splashing into/onto 'things' along with you.
          Today was a terrible day for volunteers...
          • 18. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
            Barbara Boehmer
            These forums seem to be running on an old 386 sat under someones desk
            No, that would be my computer, covered in dust, ashes and pizza-left-overs.
            I have an old 386sx laptop (I think it was Leading Edge) around here somewhere under the dust and pizza-left-overs as well and I remember working on a Compaq DeskPro 286 around 1986.
            Today it would probably be more accurate to name this site Oracle Community Splash Screen Error, with a note that there is the occasional chance you would find a forum instead.
            I kept getting the splash screen too, then was finally able to post and was surprised to find a duplicate and triplicate. I just thought I would come here to commiserate.

I have now removed the bodies from my duplicate and triplicate posts and my latest post went quickly and didn't replicate. Let's hope it stays that way, at least for a while.
            • 19. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
              Billy~Verreynne
              YoGee wrote:
              These forums seem to be running on an old 386 sat under someones desk
              Many years ago, I did my first "+large database+" system (an enormous 4MB database) using Clipper/dBase (Autumn '87 compiler if I recall correctly). For implementation, the database files had to reside on a Novel file server. We handed over the system to the "customer" (another division). Its division head was an old chap close to retirement age. We had some problems explaining the concept of a file server. So my colleague said something like "+it is like a PC that you put under your desk and no-one uses directly+".

Our department also were also involved in provisioning of hardware. And yes, a week later we got an order for a top-end PC (think it was still 20mHz 8086 back then) that had to be installed under this division head's desk.

Perhaps OTN inherited it for running Jives? ;-)

Or perhaps it is simply that Jives exhibit the common characteristics of so-called enterprise J2EE architecture... IT SUCKS!!! (because of the typical brain dead approach to using state-of-the-art and high-end database management systems, like Oracle RDBMS). :-(
              • 20. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                Lubiez Jean-Valentin
                Hello,

I can connect today and the performance seems to be good, but now I don't see the points and marks.

I don't know who is guru, expert, ... or Ace.

It's really strange.

Best regards,
                Jean-Valentin
                • 21. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                  darrylburke
                  IIRC 20 MHz didn't arrive till the 386. I know I 'worked' on a PC/XT 4.77/8 MHz 8086/8087/8088 (? I do remember that the 8087 was the co-processor) and the first PC I worked on full time was a 20 MHz 80386 with 40 MB HDD (which I had to fight for -- others involved were sure 20 MB would suffice) and 1 MB RAM (gave up the fight for 2 MB).

The two other people who worked at PCs in that work area were insanely jealous of my EGA color moiitor ;)

db
                  • 22. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                    darrylburke
                    Lubiez Jean-Valentin wrote:
                    I can connect today and the performance seems to be good, but now I don't see the points and marks.
                    I predict that the next casualty will be the rewards system itself.

A few months before Oracle migrated the Sun forums here, they discontinued the Dukes.

db
                    • 23. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                      BluShadow
                      I was just having a play around on my old BBC Master 128K the other day, playing Chuckie Egg (I burnt it onto EPROM (along with Meteors and Transistors Revenge) using a Rom Filing System I wrote in assembly when I was 16, so no need for the now degraded floppies ;) ). Now there's something that still runs nice and fast. Ok, the CMOS batteries have gone and it doesn't remember the date and time (probably a good thing as I can't recall if it was Y2K compliant or not) or any of it's default settings, but it still starts up and runs reliably. I wonder if Oracle would like it to run the forums with? After all, it's the same technology that was used to serve Teletext pages to millions of TV's across the UK for many years.

:D
                      • 24. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                        Boneist
                        My guess is that due to the migrations, the forums are under even more strain than usual, and therefore they're turning off all the bells and whistles in a bid to make the basic functionality of the forums still work.

I'm just hoping that once the migration has completed, they'll be able to turn things back on, although since we're still living without the red dotty updatey things, my hopes on that score aren't high! *{;-)

Justin et. al, are there any plans to upgrade the forum software / hardware to improve performance and usability? (Sorry if that question brings anyone out in a cold sweat... *{;-) ). Some of the things that the Sun forums had sound useful and would be good to have over here too.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                        • 25. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                          Billy~Verreynne
                          Darryl Burke wrote:
                          IIRC 20 MHz didn't arrive till the 386.
                          Yeah.. goes to show what happens to memory as one grows old.. need more caffeine..

<i> It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
                          It is through beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
                          that hands acquire shakes, that shakes become a warning...
                          I am...in control.. of my addict-ion!!</i>
                          I know I 'worked' on a PC/XT 4.77/8 MHz 8086/8087/8088
                          I owned one. Was hellishly expensive. Could have bought an okayish 2nd hand car instead. Was my first big expense I made when I started working... My own 8088/4.7Mhz IBM Compatible PC with a CGA monitor. 2 floppy drives - and I always booted it with a RAM drive as 640KB was plenty of memory... :-)
                          The two other people who worked at PCs in that work area were insanely jealous of my EGA color moiitor ;)
                          Without a doubt. I recall that there was a single EGA (hooked up to an Olivetti M24SP?) in the computer labs at university. Often grabbed it after hours for playing games. Recall seeing one of the very early versions of Microsoft's Flight Simulator on it too..
                          • 26. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                            Billy~Verreynne
                            Lubiez Jean-Valentin wrote:

I don't know who is guru, expert, ... or Ace.
                            It's really strange.
                            I like... equality.

All animals are now truly equal - including the pigs. ;-) +<assumes you know Orwell's Animal Farm?>+
                            • 27. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                              Zoltan Kecskemethy
                              Duh. I did some search and found this.

http://twitter.com/oracletechnet
                              @Boneist we are in the midst of a gigantic content migration, a little unstable at the moment - working it #otn_forums about 16 hours ago via TweetDeck in reply to Boneist
                              I want reward system back! (BTW it is still in FAQ)
                              • 28. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                Billy~Verreynne
                                Kecskemethy wrote:

I want reward system back! (BTW it is still in FAQ)
                                You can have all my dukes - but that will not make you more technically competent than what you already are.

Heck, we cannot even buy a single beer wth 10,000 duke dollars... so I do not see what worth you see in them.

:-)
                                • 29. Re: Getting the splash screen a LOT today
                                  munky
                                  >
                                  Heck, we cannot even buy a single beer wth 10,000 duke dollars... so I do not see what worth you see in them.
                                  >
                                  I'd be up for a reward system whereby we get sent beer! :D

Funnily enough, someone from the APEX forum once did exactly that for me. A week's worth of assistance getting to the bottom of this guy's issue and he sent me a crate! Needless to say, I put a watch on his profile, in case he ever needed help again ;)

What joy.