4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2010 7:09 AM by user2522172 RSS

rman backup current controlfile and autobackup controlfile

user2522172
      Hi,

Does someone know why a autobackup of the current controlfile so much bigger is than current controlfile backup? The autobackup is around 10 times bigger. I know autobackup also backup the spfile but the spfile is around 5 kbytes. I'm using Oracle 11G (11.1.0.7) by the way and using a rman repository.

And just another question: the rman script we had is:
      backup incremental level 0 database channel ...;
      backup archivelog all ..;
      backup current controlfile ...;
      delete noprompt obsolete;

This script created three autobackup backups. One after each backup command.
      I did change it to :

run {
      backup incremental level 0 database ...;
      backup archivelog all...;
      delete noprompt obsolete;
      }

So in a run block and without a 'backup current controlfile' because rman will be making automatically a controlfile backup at the end.
      Am I right in leaving the 'backup current controlfile' out?

regards,

Ivan
        • 1. Re: rman backup current controlfile and autobackup controlfile
          asifkabirdba
          Turn on the controlfile autobackup feature then you out that current controlfile command.

RMAN > configure controlfile autobackup on;

Regards
          Asif Kabir
          • 2. Re: rman backup current controlfile and autobackup controlfile
            sybrand_b
            rman will backup the controlfile as soon as you backup datafile 0, the system tablespace.

Please note you need a separate backup, which isn't in a backupset, to be able to restore a database without having a catalog.
            This is the purpose of the autobackup controlfile.

--------------
            Sybrand Bakker
            Senior Oracle DBA

Edited by: sybrand_b on Oct 22, 2010 5:07 PM
            • 3. Re: rman backup current controlfile and autobackup controlfile
              NS
              user2522172 wrote:
              Am I right in leaving the 'backup current controlfile' out?
              Yes..If you have autobackup on than there is no harm in removing this statement.
              • 4. Re: rman backup current controlfile and autobackup controlfile
                user2522172
                Hi,

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

I did figure out why the autobackup of the controlfile is so much bigger than the backup of the current controlfile: I'm using compressed backupsets as the default (CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET) and the autobackup controlfile isn't compressing that backup:

BS Key Type LV Size Device Type Elapsed Time Completion Time
                ------- ---- -- ---------- ----------- ------------ ---------------
                14496 Full 2.28M DISK 00:00:04 23-OCT-10
                BP Key: 14544 Status: AVAILABLE Compressed: YES Tag: TAG20101023T130042
                Piece Name: /opt/backup/SID/CTRL_SID_1337246370_20101023_8llr5vjq_1_1.bak
                Control File Included: Ckp SCN: 6713133993 Ckp time: 23-OCT-10

BS Key Type LV Size Device Type Elapsed Time Completion Time
                ------- ---- -- ---------- ----------- ------------ ---------------
                14497 Full 22.11M DISK 00:00:02 23-OCT-10
                BP Key: 14545 Status: AVAILABLE Compressed: NO Tag: TAG20101023T130047
                Piece Name: /opt/backup/SID/Autobackup_control_c-1337246370-20101023-1b.bak
                Control File Included: Ckp SCN: 6713134113 Ckp time: 23-OCT-10

It seems strange that Oracle isn't compressing for the autobackup and I don't see any rman option to compress the autobackup.

regards,

Ivan