6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2003 11:52 AM by 30425 RSS

Microarray platform and Oracle

Hi,

I am glad that Oracle has started this new forum. We provide microarray services. Currently we have over 100 research groups taking advantage of our services. We are using Oracle 9i.

I am using XSQL and XDK extensively. I am interested in knowing industry practices of using Oracle LS plarform. Are there any resources available?

Mahendra Navarange
      Clinical Sciences Centre
      Medical Research Council UK.
        • 1. Re: Microarray platform and Oracle
          Charlie Berger-Oracle
          Mahendra,

We are beginning to form Oracle Life Sciences User Group Meetings to facilitate discussions amongst our users. The first one next week at the Sanger Center. Here's the information on that http://otn.oracle.com/industries/life_sciences/ls_firstugm_052203.html.

We are also holding one at OracleWorld in San Francisco, Sept 7-11. Here is the information on that.
          ----------------------------------
          Call for Presentations
          What: Oracle Life Sciences User Group Meeting
          Where & When: Oracle World, San Francisco, California, September 7-11

Dear Oracle Life Sciences Customers,

We will be holding an Oracle Life Sciences User Group Meeting during this year's OracleWorld (OW) event in San Francisco September 7-11. This event, following our first Oracle Life Sciences User Group Meeting May 22 at the Sanger Center in the UK (place OTN link here?) is designed to enable Oracle's life sciences community to share valuable information on the most effective, interesting and novel implementations of Oracle's Database, Application Server and Collaborations Suite software.

We are currently accepting proposals for speaker presentations at this event.

TOPICS OF INTEREST:

Typical but not exclusive topics include the use of Oracle software in life sciences to:

* Access distributed data sources
          * Integrate a variety of data types
          * Manage vast quantities of data
          * Find patterns and insights
          * Enable secure collaboration
          * Facilitate regulatory compliance
          * Automate research laboratories

HOW TO SUBMIT:
          We encourage you to submit an abstract by Thursday, May 15 to Oracle World's official site http://www.oracle.com/jsp/events/EventsDetail.jsp?p_eventId=9712&src=1598600&src=1598600&Act=4
          Please also submit a copy to Joyce Peng at Yao-chun.Peng@oracle.com

* Note 1: We are striving trying to extend the official OW deadline for the Life Sciences User Group Meeting but ask that you also send me (Joyce Peng <yao-chun.peng@oracle.com>) a copy.
          * Note 2: Don't worry if you receive a rejection notice from the official OW site. It is me (not the OW site) that will inform you our final decision. Do keep me informed when you receive notification from this site.

If you can't make it by May 15, submit an abstract to Joyce directly at Yao-chun.Peng@oracle.com by Friday, June 13.

FORMAT OF AN ABSTRACT:

Name:
          Company/Organization:
          Division:
          Position:
          Address:
          Business Telephone:
          Business WWW Address:
          E-Mail Address:
          Biography:
          Presentation Title:
          Presentation Abstract:
          Presentation Experience:
          Oracle Features Highlighted:

We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in San Francisco at OracleWorld.

Regards,

Joyce Peng
          • 2. Re: Microarray platform and Oracle
            Charles,

I have registered for the Sanger Center meeting. We at Clinical Sciences Centre of MRC (UK) use microarrays and generate data in XML formats. I have used JDeveloper, XDK and XSQL for building database functionalities. It is rather late to put together a presentation now but I will try for future conferences.

Mahendra
            • 3. Re: Microarray platform and Oracle
              I would like to Tile microarray TIFF images that are stored in an Oracle 9i database. Is there a way to tile the image using PL-SQL or Java that runs in the database or on the server hosting the database.
              I appreciate any help in this matter.
              Thank You
              Jigger Vakharia
              • 4. Re: Microarray platform and Oracle
                RE: I would like to Tile microarray TIFF images stored in an Oracle9i Database.

Can you elaborate? Are you trying to extract TILEs from a single TIFF image or associate multiple TIFF images to create a single compound image?

Thanks,
                Bill Beauregard
                Principal Product Manager
                Oracle Corporation
                • 5. Re: Microarray platform and Oracle
                  Mr. Bill Beauregard

I am trying to extract tiles from a single TIFF image. I will obtain the clone location as input and then I would like to tile the particular feature and the eight around it corresponding to the clone location. This tile will be displayed using Java.

Thank you
                  Jigger Vakharia
                  • 6. Re: Microarray platform and Oracle
                    Could you send me an email so we can discuss.
                    william.beauregard@oracle.com

RE: am trying to extract tiles from a single TIFF image. I will obtain the clone location as input and then I would like to tile the particular feature and the eight around it corresponding to the clone location. This tile will be displayed using Java.

Is the image currently tiled or not? Do you want to crop the clone location from an untiled image and stitch the the pieces back together as tiles?
                    Regards, Bill