7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2010 7:43 AM by jwenting

projet : java based discussion forum

hi all,
      i am planning to build a project based upon JAVA.
      the base concept is to build a java based discussion forum.
      this is my first independent project so can anyone please suggest answers to following questions :
      (1) how to start building a project.
      (2) for text editor in my project should i use any existing editor or should i create editor on my own.

thanks
      pratz
        • 1. Re: projet : java based discussion forum
          Kayaman
          804658 wrote:
          hi all,
          i am planning to build a project based upon JAVA.
          It's Java, not JAVA.
          the base concept is to build a java based discussion forum.
          this is my first independent project so can anyone please suggest answers to following questions :
          (1) how to start building a project.
          You post a mail on the Oracle Java Forums saying "I'm Starting a Project!"
          (2) for text editor in my project should i use any existing editor or should i create editor on my own.
          If you are seriously asking questions like this, you're not ready to be creating any sorts of Java projects.

Use the same editor you use for other Java programs you've written.
          • 2. Re: projet : java based discussion forum
            darrylburke
            Moderator action: Moved from Java Programming. Please keep beginner topics in New to Java.

db
            • 3. Re: projet : java based discussion forum
              darrylburke
              Cross posted
              http://www.coderanch.com/t/514851/java/java/java-based-discussion-forum

Any more?

db
              • 4. Re: projet : java based discussion forum
                hi kayaman,
                sorry for using the term JAVA, ill take care of this in my further posts.

and for the editor related question may be i was not clear with the question.
                actually i wanted to ask about the editor that the end user will use in my application to post his thought but ill appreciate if you could have asked me that for which editor i am asking the question instead of directly saying that i am not ready to build a project, that is really discouraging.

thanks,
                pratz
                • 5. Re: projet : java based discussion forum
                  Kayaman
                  804658 wrote:
                  and for the editor related question may be i was not clear with the question.
                  actually i wanted to ask about the editor that the end user will use in my application to post his thought but ill appreciate if you could have asked me that for which editor i am asking the question instead of directly saying that i am not ready to build a project, that is really discouraging.
                  Well, I'm just giving you honest feedback. If you don't even know how to start a project, then a discussion forum is probably a bit out of your reach.

As for your question about the editor. I assume you're creating a web based discussion forum? Then the "editor" would be just a regular HTML textbox (most likely) that the user would fill with his text.

But maybe you'll want to start with something smaller. For a discussion forum you'll need to know how to use databases, create web user interfaces and handle all sorts of other things. Do you know how to do those or did you think (like so many others here) that you'll just pick those up along the way?
                  • 6. Re: projet : java based discussion forum
                    ok leave the question that whether i am ready for a independent project. now the thing is that since this is my first independent project and may be i don't know many of the things you have mentioned but from your reply i got one useful answer and now i will use simple text area initially and later as my knowledge grows ill use some existing editor.

you may expect few more questions from my side :)
                    thanks a lot mr. kayaman :)
                    pratz
                    • 7. Re: projet : java based discussion forum
                      jwenting
                      we're just trying to prevent you from disillusionment by taking on something way over your grasp (as this idea is unless you know a lot more than your posting history suggests).
                      If that's not helpful, I don't know what is.

Take the hint: start with something smaller, much smaller. Gain experience, learn all you can, until you're grasping the concepts you have to work with to create what you're really after (which can take weeks, months, even years of study depending on your background and investment of effort).