This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 19, 2010 2:04 AM by 807557 RSS

Hard And soft real time limit

807557 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi;

Are there any limit for using hard real time thread(NoHeapThread). What is the cost using hard real time thread. Normally I want to use Hard Real Time thread for all thread. I think The limit must be exist.What is the limit?

By the way I am reading alot of document about JRTS. But I think There are not enough example code about JRTS concept. Is there any document inside for example best practice codes
  • 1. Re: Hard And soft real time limit
    807557 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    koray_dmn wrote:
    Are there any limit for using hard real time thread(NoHeapThread). What is the cost using hard real time thread. Normally I want to use Hard Real Time thread for all thread. I think The limit must be exist.What is the limit?
    Realtime-threads (heap or no-heap) on Solaris require resources from the cyclic driver. If you have enough memory you might exhaust the default number of cyclics available (there is a conf file that can change that setting - see the info on installing the cyclic driver). Normally though, as with regular Java threads the limit you hit is memory used by the native threads.
    >
    By the way I am reading alot of document about JRTS. But I think There are not enough example code about JRTS concept. Is there any document inside for example best practice codes
    Java RTS is an implementation of the RTSJ, so you want to look for articles and books covering the RTSJ and there are a lot of those. See Eric Bruno's book for coverage of RTSJ and JRTS; see Peter Dibble's book on general RTSJ and see Andy Wellings book on general RT programming in Java and elsewhere. Google will show these or else go to www.rtsj.org

Hope that helps,
    David Holmes
    Oracle