8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2010 5:52 PM by 807557 RSS

Java rts Netbeans getting started guide

Could any one please point me to the correct "Java rts Netbeans getting started guide".

http://netbeans.org/kb/articles/java-rts.html

The above link seems to be dead.

Thanks,
      Ramsundar Kandasamy
        • 1. Re: Java rts Netbeans getting started guide
          To be concrete i am looking for "Sun Java RTS Netbeans Module."

I am trying the handsonlab from http://developers.sun.com/learning/javaoneonline/j1lab.jsp?lab=LAB-5538&yr=2009&track=1 and there they mentioned to use "Sun Java RTS Netbeans Module" for Netbeans.

Thanks,
          Ramsundar
          • 2. Re: Java rts Netbeans getting started guide
            We are attempting to resolve this oversight.

Thank you.

David Holmes
            • 3. Re: Java rts Netbeans getting started guide
              Thanks a lot for the update David.

Thanks,
              Ramsundar Kandasamy

Edited by: kramasundar on Mar 25, 2010 12:56 AM

Typo...
              • 4. Re: Java rts Netbeans getting started guide
                Hi,

After installing JRTS, add JRTS as platform to Netbeans by using menu Tools -> Java Platforms -> Add
                • 5. Re: Java rts Netbeans getting started guide
                  Thanks Hevren,

But in my case i run netbeans on Windows/mac and run the code on OpenSolaris/Solaris Virtual machine.

And i don't want to run netbeans on virtual machine since it will take ages...

Nevertheless, thanks for sharing.
                  • 6. Re: Java rts Netbeans getting started guide
                    Under windows you can not use cyclic drive even with virtual box as underline operating system should support cyclic drive. But you can use JRTS without cyclic drive still it gives you many functionality but real time is not guarantied (jitters and cycle misses). It is good only for run basic code and trials.
                    • 7. Re: Java rts Netbeans getting started guide
                      Note that if you run JavaRTS on a virtual machine, you may get a lot of jitter from the
                      host system anyway.

Unless you can guarantee that some CPUs are used only by the Solaris
                      layer, non real-time threads scheduled by your Host system may delay the real-time operations
                      within Solaris. This will of course disrupt your real-time Java threads. Even worse, this
                      may impact the cyclic subsystem, which controls all the fine grain time related operations in
                      Solaris (this is the low level module we interact with thanks to our cyclic driver to get better
                      response times).

In fact, even if you dedicate CPUs to Solaris, you also have to be careful with how Solaris
                      accesses to the 'hardware' time source. Virtualization could create some randomness in the
                      way Solaris perceives time, disrupting stuff sufficiently to be noticeable within JavaRTS/DTrace.

I highly recommend dual booting instead of using virtualization if you want to evaluate the
                      determinism of JavaRTS or the high precision of our DTrace based instrumentation tools.

Regards,

Bertrand DELSART
                      JavaRTS Technical Leader
                      • 8. Re: Java rts Netbeans getting started guide
                        A couple of clarifications.

In Java RTS 1.0 there was a Netbeans module that allowed limited cross-development, but that is no longer supported. This is the module that the dead-link on netbeans.org would have lead to. The Netbeans module referred to in the Hands-on lab is only for use on Solaris 10 or Linux where you have an actual install of Java RTS 2.x available.

For Windows you would have to write your own stubbed out RTSJ classes, which would at least allow compilation and perhaps allow you to fake some RTSJ functionality for testing interaction with the non-RT part of your app (eg if you want to write the GUI in Netbeans etc).

David Holmes