2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2009 8:30 PM by 807557 RSS

RTS on linux

Hi,

Is it necessary to install the real time kernel for linux ubuntu in order to develop correct real time applications with RTS2.2?
      I am working on an application right now without the real time kernel and as far as i can see thread priorities are working correctly.(The thread with higher priority always runs before lower priority threads)

Thanks
        • 1. Re: RTS on linux
          gn_164 wrote:
          Is it necessary to install the real time kernel for linux ubuntu in order to develop correct real time applications with RTS2.2?
          Depending on what your application's timing constraints are, and your definition of "correct", perhaps not. But in general - yes you need a real-time kernel to get real-time guarantees.
          I am working on an application right now without the real time kernel and as far as i can see thread priorities are working correctly.(The thread with higher priority always runs before lower priority threads)
          Priority based scheduling is only one requirement for a real-time system, and the simplest one to implement. But while your threads may appear to be being scheduled as you want them to be, they can also suffer from unexpected latencies and priority-inversions due to not running on a real-time kernel.

But ultimately it comes down to your application and its requirements. It may be that plain Ubuntu is enough for your needs.

HTH

David Holmes
          • 2. Re: RTS on linux
            Oops! Signed in with the wrong account :)

David Holmes