This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 28, 2009 6:37 PM by 807557 RSS

Technology for real-time server

658307 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I am about to write a server application that forwards traffic messages (JSON Format) coming from clients. The scenario is - a client detects a traffic event, creates an appropriate message and sends it to the server, which forwards the message to all clients in "vicinity". One requirement for the application is a low message delay (say, you want to know about a traffic jam in front of you before you have reached it), so the more real-time it is, the better.

I was checking out some real-time technologies and I would like to consult the community before choosing one:
- Java Real Time is not really an option due to high licensing fees (and my application is only a prototype)
- Java HotSpot VM, I didn't completely understand what this is about
- Javolution, [http://javolution.org/] a real-time library for Java apps

What is your opinion on what is best suitable for my needs?

Thanks, Lex
  • 1. Re: Technology for real-time server
    807557 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    If you are at the prototyping stage then I would suggest using regular Java SE (Hotspot) and so how far it gets you. You say "the more real-time it is the better" but I think you mean "the faster it is the better". Whether this needs to be "real-time" depends on how badly the application is affected by unexpected latencies. Regular Java SE might give very low average latency but with occasional outliers (sometimes extreme depending on GC load). Whereas real-time Java might suppress the outliers but is likely to have a much higher average latency. If Java SE doesn't get you where you need then you could at least dowbload an evaluation version of Java RTS and see if it gets you where you need. But you have to determine which you need and whether you are prepared to "pay" for it (both in terms of software licensing costs and development effort).

It also depends on whether you are just concerned about trying to deal with the "node processing" part of the application or whether the networking itself is an issue. TCP/IP is not a real-time protocol. Depending on your OS, using the TCP/IP stack can lead to additional latencies and/or priority inversions (if using real-time). Even on a real-time VM, use of the network stack can lead to non-deterministic response times.

HTH

David Holmes