13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 11:36 AM by 807557

Sun RTS on OpenSolaris

Does Sun RTS 2.x run on OpenSolaris, or does it require regular Solaris?
        • 1. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
          OpenSolaris is not a supported platform at this time. There's no reason we know of why it should not run on OpenSolaris but we don't ship a Cyclic driver for it, nor have we certified on it.

If you're a little familiar with the package format you can hack SUNWrtjc to allow installation on OpenSolaris.

David Holmes
          • 2. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
            I tired that, and it driver won't install because it does not like Solaris 5.11 which is the current build of OpenSolaris, as opposed to 5.10.
            • 3. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
              The "hack" is to remove the version check from the package install script. Did you try that?

David Holmes
              • 4. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                Yep. But the actual driver will no install into the OS becuase it think OpenSolaris is Solaris 11 (5.11) not Solaris 10 (5.10)
                • 5. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                  Can you post actual transcript of the installation attempt and what error messages you get. I'm not aware of any check by the driver itself with regard to OS version, as far as I know the only check is in the installation script.

Thanks,
                  David Holmes
                  • 6. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                    I am trying to install Java RTS 2.1 on OpenSolaris 2008.11. As suggested, I hacked the SUNWrtjc package to skip the version check by removing lines 17-70 from install/request. However, this gave me an error that the checksum for install/request was not correct. I got around that problem by removing line 15 from pkgmap (which contains the checksum for install/request). But I still get warnings during the installation:

Installing Java Real-Time System cyclic driver as <SUNWrtjc>
                    ## Installing part 1 of 1.
                    /platform/i86pc/kernel/drv/amd64/cyclic
                    /platform/i86pc/kernel/drv/cyclic
                    /platform/i86pc/kernel/drv/cyclic.conf
                    [ verifying class <none> ]
                    ## Executing postinstall script.
                    devfsadm: driver failed to attach: cyclic
                    Warning: Driver (cyclic) successfully added to system but failed to attach
                    devfsadm: driver failed to attach: cyclic
                    Installation of <SUNWrtjc> was successful.

Even though it says "installation successful", when I try to run Java RTS, I get an error:

Could not open /dev/cyclic (No such file or directory).
                    Please check that the cyclic device driver
                    is correctly installed on your system.

I then created a symbolic link from /platform/i86pc/kernel/drv/cyclic to /dev/cyclic, but that gives me a version error when running Java RTS:

The cyclic driver installed on this machine is not supported
                    (expecting driver API version 16, got version -1). Please check your installation.
                    Java Real-Time System HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Disabling high-resolution timers as the cyclic driver is not used

Any suggestions? Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                      Trevor,

It looks like the more recent OpenSolaris version is not compatible with the existing Cyclic driver, but I don't know why and I don't have access to an OpenSolaris machine to try it out.

Is there any thing in /var/adm/messages ?

Also note that /dev/cyclic does not link to the actual file but a device entry eg:

ls -l /dev/cyclic
                      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 33 Nov 20 08:56 /dev/cyclic -> ../devices/pseudo/cyclic@0:cyclic

David Holmes
                      • 8. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                        David,

I was wondering if there are any differences between Solaris and OpenSolaris as they apply to Java RTS. For example, is the timing resolution the same for both kernels?

Also, what about support from Sun? Are there any plans for official support in Java RTS for OpenSolaris?

Thanks
                        • 9. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                          Trevor,
                          trevor@vocaro.com wrote:
                          I was wondering if there are any differences between Solaris and OpenSolaris as they apply to Java RTS. For example, is the timing resolution the same for both kernels?
                          I don't keep detailed track of what OpenSolaris is doing - so such questions are best directed to the OpenSolaris folks. But I'm not aware of any significant differences between OpenSolaris and the latest update to Solaris. Of course bug fixes and features/enhancements are not likely to be in complete lock-step between the two. As for "timing resolution" they both use the default 1ms tick for things that rely on the tick. But they both support the cyclic subsystem which uses the best available timing hardware on the platform. So there's no difference there as far as I am aware.
                          Also, what about support from Sun? Are there any plans for official support in Java RTS for OpenSolaris?
                          At this time we have not announced any plans to support OpenSolaris.

David Holmes
                          • 10. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                            1) I've tried to hack the package too and i got the same error. Last line in my /var/adm/messages:

Apr 2 11:38:05 dauphine cyclic: [ID 529121 kern.notice] cyclic_drv_init: unexpected Solaris release 5.11 (expected 5.10).

Is there a way to avoid this Solaris version check either?

2) I verified my /devices/pseudo folder and there's no file with "cyclic" on it. Is it necessary to install anything before SUNWrtsc?
                            • 11. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                              Thanks for providing the output! I had not realized that there was a runtime version check in the drv_init code. (Don't know how I missed that back in December! :( ).

Unfortunately that means that the 2.1 cyclic driver simply can not be used on OpenSolaris.

David Holmes
                              • 12. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                                Thanks for answering, David.
                                Then it means that, with SUNWrtsv installed, but without the cyclic driver, we could run "Real Time programs" but we wouldn't have the profits of a RT system (i mean, we would still have a low resolution timing, but it would be possible to execute the programs)?

(Because, if the problem is just a low resolution timing, an overhead may help... :) )
                                • 13. Re: Sun RTS on OpenSolaris
                                  No - sorry. JRTS on Solaris won't let you create any real-time threads if there is no cyclic driver present.

David