4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2009 3:44 AM by 807557 RSS

JavaRTS and VMware

Hello,

will run JavaRTS in a VMware virtual machine (e.g. with Solaris 10 as client OS)?

adios

tk
        • 1. Re: JavaRTS and VMware
          I'm not aware of anyone trying it, and I don't know if there are any limitations on what VMWare will support for a Solaris client. But you will not get real-time behaviour running in a virtual environment.

David Holmes
          • 2. Re: JavaRTS and VMware
            Has anyone tried RTS on Virtualbox or KVM? Would the performance be good enough if one was just interested in Real-time threads and RTGC but not NHRT? Say guaranteeing 0.5 millisecond responsiveness?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: JavaRTS and VMware
              Again I am not aware of anyone trying this. I also don't know what threading model these virtual environment use, so I don't know what a real-time Java thread would look like to the host OS; nor how timing facilities would be exposed.

David Holmes
              • 4. Re: JavaRTS and VMware
                Hello,

I am considering using JavaRTS for some private projects and my company would consider JavaRTS for their products.

I have at home VMware running (because I do not have the money for additional hardware) and my company is considering using VMware because of the better utilization (and flexibility).

JavaRTS has many features (like the RealTimeGC (-> daveS) that you can also theoretically use in an VM. But, even if you need the real-time behavior, it would be very helpful if you can use VMs to develop the software and then let it operate on a dedicated physical machine in the end.

So it would be very interesting if you can use JavaRTS in a VM...

maybe not for me, because I do not intend to pay the 6500USD for a license just to play around with a remote helicopter....

regards

tk