10 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2010 3:01 PM by DarrylBurke RSS

Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card

Hi, I hope someone will be able to help me here.
      I have recently installed a Sparc Enterprise M3000 with a XVR-300 graphics card in. The server is seeing the card OK but nothing is getting displayed on the KVM console.

From the ok> when I enter 'setenv output-device mydev' I get a message back saying unknown option output-device. I also get the same message when I enter the command 'setenv input-device keyboard'.

I've also tried from the Solaris prompt the command 'eeprom output-device=screen' and get the message eeprom: OPROMSETOPT : Invalid argument output-device: invalid property

Has anyone got any ideas please?
        • 1. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
          rukbat
          The `error` messages you've quoted suggest the system's OBP doesn't recognize the syntax you have used. That could be a simple as a typo or it could be that its OBP no longer has the capability of manipulating input and output devices. If the output device has indeed been remove from the M3000's OBP then the XVR-300 cannot be a console on that platform.

I do not know that product and have no access to one for a hands-on examination, so cannot check anything for you. You will need to check it on your own system.

Get it to the OK prompt and do a printenv.
          You will get more information there than you ever would by running the eeprom command up in the OS.

Does the printenv output even have any entries for input-device or for output device ?

You might think of using the system's warranty or your service contract to contact Sun Support directly on this topic.
          • 2. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
            Thanks for your response Rukbat.

There are no entries in the printenv output for input-device or output-device.

As you say, looks like a warranty call will be needed.
            • 3. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
              I tried same things few month ago.

M3000 don't have "output-device" and "input-device" params.
              Then, I could not use keyboard and screen on console.

But I found following japanese document last week.
              (japanese document) http://primeserver.fujitsu.com/partner/rov/shoshin/pdf/shoshin_19.pdf

summary

hardware: M3000 plus 2 PCIe card
              * graphics card: Techsource Raptor GFX 550e(http://techsource.com/products/sun/gfx550e/index.asp)
              * USB interface card: DP Hi-Speed USB 4-port PCIe
              * keyboard and mouse: connent to USB interface card. not M3000 USB port.

limitation: only for X environment.
              * you can use USB keyboard and mouse on X environment.
              * XSCF and OBP are serial console only.

Did you try additional USB interface card?
              But, this way is no warranty .
              • 4. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
                Was reading up the thread, had a solution been found. Would appreciate if the some answers/experience can be posted on the solution.
                Had also encountered the same problem. The eeprom of the M3000 do not have any output-device and input-device.
                • 5. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
                  rukbat
                  lawrence02 wrote:Was reading up the thread, had a solution been found. Would appreciate if the some answers/experience can be posted on the solution.
                  Had also encountered the same problem. The eeprom of the M3000 do not have any output-device and input-device.
                  It's not going to happen.
                  This system offers only a traditional console connection.
                  Learn to administer the system in command-line mode as per its manuals.

A compatible graphics card, when combined with a keyboard/mouse kit connected to an added USB card will give a GUI after the OS has booted.
                  • 6. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
                    We also have the M3000 with XVR-300 cards. Even having a "non-console" X display/session after full boot would still be of interest to us. If for no other reason, Oracle installs, patching and general troubleshooting can sometimes be streamlined from a nice local X session over the KVM.

So far, I am able to get the X display itself up just fine with:
                    xinit -- /usr/X/bin/Xsun -dev /dev/fbs/nfb0a +nkeyboard +nmouse
                    If I don't include the nomouse and nokeyboard options, the Xsun process bails out because it couldn't find them. Moreover:
                    root> /#cfgadm
                    Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant     Condition
                    SB0                            System_Brd   connected    configured   ok
                    c0                             scsi-bus     connected    configured   unknown
                    Does this mean the USB port on the server is just an unconnected dummy? Is there some way to light it up? I'd rather not buy an expansion card just to get a couple of USB ports, particularly if it casts a shadow on our support status.
                    • 7. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
                      Sorry, I should have read the manual before posting:

"USB port (for XSCF)"
                      "This USB port is dedicated for use by field engineers and cannot be connected to general-purpose USB devices."

Those are quotes from "Sun SPARC Enterprise M3000 Server Overview Guide" (http://docs.sun.com/source/820-5579-11/21ch1p.html)
                      • 8. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
                        hello:all

this problem have resolve ? please tell me ,how to resolve? and this usb card and xvr-300 card where buy it,plaese reply me ,thanks ,my email :adambbs@hotmail.com
                        • 9. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
                          Hi,

Please open a new thread and give complete problem detail. Please do not add further queries to the already opened old thread.

As far as I know, for M3000 there is only text based console available as it used to be in legacy Sunfire midrange and high end servers. Graphics card and USB card can not be used as a local graphics console.

XVR-300 is used for the graphics accelerator for the applications and is not intended for the local graphics console use.
                          In case you want to order these parts, please contact Sun sales team.

HTH

-Mehul
                          • 10. Re: Sparc Enterprise M3000 and XVR-300 graphics card
                            DarrylBurke
                            dongzengyinbbs, welcome to the forum. Please don't post in threads that are long dead and don't hijack another poster's thread. When you have a question, start your own topic. Feel free to provide a link to an old post that may be relevant to your problem.

I'm locking this thread now.

db

db