This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2009 7:58 AM by 807557 RSS

How to Access ILOM Remote Console via broadband or other web link

807557 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Has anyone succeeded in getting the ILOM 3 (or any previous version for that matter) running over a broadband connection via the internet?

I have a X4170 server at a remote site that connects to the web via ADSL and a firewall/router (pfSense). I have natted all the ports to server as per Sun's port listing (443, 5120, 5121, 5123, 7578 and 22), yet I still cannot connect the Remote Console. Port 443 alone gets me to the ILOM web interface, which is clear. However, the Java app doesn't want to talk to the server. What else should I do?

I can see all the connections coming in on the firewall when I attemt to connect. There are no attempts on ports from my client PC that get blocked on the firewall, yet I cannot connect.

Any help that someone can offer on this?

thanks again.
  • 1. Re: How to Access ILOM Remote Console via broadband or other web link
    807557 Newbie
    dragonslayer wrote: I have natted all the ports to server as per Sun's port listing (443, 5120, 5121, 5123, 7578 and 22), yet I still cannot connect the Remote Console. Port 443 alone gets me to the ILOM web interface, which is clear.
    I wonder where you got a list of ports. For a 2200M2 with ELOM, I searched high and low, and found no list. I finally pulled the unit and ran Wireshark. It needs port 8890 and perhaps more.

Searching on "ILOM 8890" found a thread here discussing the issue.
  • 2. Re: How to Access ILOM Remote Console via broadband or other web link
    807557 Newbie
    I asked google "sun ilom 3 firewall ports" and got this page:

http://docs.sun.com/source/820-6410-10/ilom_netconfig.html#50442292_27508

I was heading for wireshark... thank for the info. I'll add that port and see what happens
  • 3. Re: How to Access ILOM Remote Console via broadband or other web link
    807557 Newbie
    Part of the issue is there's ELOM, ILOM, and for all I know, ALOM, ULOM, and sometimes YLOM.

They have some things in common, but others are different...

The second issue is you need the correct Java; from what I've read & seen, they can be picky about which Java will work and which won't....
  • 4. Re: How to Access ILOM Remote Console via broadband or other web link
    807557 Newbie
    The issue here is definitely ports, since it works from a LAN port on to the server, but not over the internet.

I thought that using another remote machine (Windows XP via RDP for example) would allow one to open the Remote Console from there, but somehow RDP and ILOM/ELOM/SLOM (Integrated/Embedded/Schlepbedded) don't work together. The display can be seen but everything becomes dog slow. A keypress takes 30 seconds to register on the other end at the server.

However, using NoMachine as a remote interface (nxserver on Ubuntu for example) works well except for the mouse which becomes hyper sensitive to the point that it's almost impossible to click anything. Fortunately most installation processes, BIOS interfaces, etc., don't need a mouse or work without one by simply using the tab and arrow keys.