1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 10, 2010 6:25 PM by 795934 RSS

ultra 5 , cutting power kills nvram?

Hello,

Im trying to install solaris 10 on an ultra 5 and and ultra 10 so I can learn the OS.

It seems like when I cut the power while booting at the post screen or a little after that when the machine is trying to network boot it kills the nvram chip on the motherboard? Is this normal with sun machines? I realize its not the best thing to just turn off power while its booting but having the nvram die like that is kind of scary. I did this on both the ultra 10 and ultra 5 and it corrupted the nvram on both of them. They simply will not boot now the monitor gets no video I have installed new nvram chips and they are working again.

So Im wondering what to do if i need to shut the machine off while its trying to boot? i thought the key combo was alt - stop? to get to the "ok" prompt but that doesn't seem to do it?

any thoughts or wisdom are appreciated I have little to no experience with sparc hardware or solaris
      thanks!
        • 1. Re: ultra 5 , cutting power kills nvram?
          supermanbanana wrote:

So Im wondering what to do if i need to shut the machine off while its trying to boot? i thought the key combo was alt - stop? to get to the "ok" prompt but that doesn't seem to do it?
          Stop-A should return you to the OK prompt.

Will then be able to run power-off at the OK prompt to switch the power off cleanly.