0 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2009 3:45 AM by 807557 RSS

Ultra 24 - No ECC support?

My Workstation is a Ultra 24 which I bought through the Try&Buy program some time ago.
      I added 8 GB (4x2GB) of unbuffered ECC DDR2 ram to the machine, hoping to receive the benefits of ECC because said workstation also functions as a ZFS NAS in my LAN. Most of the white papers confirm that ECC is supported in this machine.

However, I ran memtest86+ today and it explicitly stated that ECC is disabled despite the four compatible modules being installed. I updated the BIOS from 1.50 to 1.53, hoping that would fix the issue but it didn’t.

The BIOS seems to offer no control over memory related settings at all. The only hint I could find was an option that toggles logging of ECC related errors, but what good is that when ECC isn’t enabled in the first place.

I know that the X38 chipset supports ECC with DDR2 and the same RAM works as it should in a different X38 Mainboard, so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be active. I suspect it is the BIOS’ fault.
      Does anyone actually have ECC in the Ultra 24 confirmed and working?

You can test it by burning the memtest86+ ISO and booting from it: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso