6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2009 2:08 AM by 807557 RSS

Different ilom versions on CMM/blades + Hardware version of 6000 chassi?

Hi,
      I have a Sun Blade Chassi 6000 filed with X6250 blades.

Currently I am running these ilom versions

CMM ilom=2.0.3.10-r36968
      X6250 ilom=2.0.3.10-r39809

How do I check the hardware revision on the Sun Blade Chassi 6000 to see if it is 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 to know if I can upgrade the CMM ilom?

Is it ok to upgrade the ilom on the X6250 blades to 3.x.x.x even if the CMM is still running ilom 2.0.3.10?

Best Regards
      /// Fredrik
        • 1. Re: Different ilom versions on CMM/blades + Hardware version of 6000 chassi?
          Hi,

Its always the best practise to have the blades and the CMM on the same firmware release if possible.

The 2.0.3.10 is firmware 2.1

Go here for latest ilom 3.0 update CMM

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=SB6000CHASSIS-3.0-OTH-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI

and the wolf x6250 blade ilom 3.0

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=SBX6250SM-3.O-OTH-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI

Cheers,
          Armand
          • 2. Re: Different ilom versions on CMM/blades + Hardware version of 6000 chassi?
            Hi!
            Ok.

But don't my Sun Blade 6000 Chassis has to be of hardware revision 3.0 to upgrade to the ilom-3.x.x.x release?

I also have an older Sun Blade 6000 chassi that I "suspect" is hardware revision 2.0.
            Therefore I have not updated is even to ilom-2.0.3.10...

Am I correct?

If so, how do I check what hardware revsion my Sun Blade 6000 Chassis are?

Best Regards
            /// Fredrik
            • 3. Re: Different ilom versions on CMM/blades + Hardware version of 6000 chassi?
              as you can see in the notes of the release:

The major feature of this release is:

* Combined image of BIOS version 3B22 and ILOM version ILOM 3.0.3.33 (Service Processor firmware)
              * RAID Expansion Module Firmware version 15872
              * CPLD update to 307

I think you refer to the CPLD being updated, this is done automatically with ILOM, with ELOM you needed to do this seperately.
              Using the SP (ILOM) updates both the ILOM and BIOS firmware, and the CPLD.
              Some new hardware needs a higher CPLD version, like expansion modules or changes from dual to quad core CPU's.

You Must Reseat Your Server Module After Upgrading to Software Release 2.0.4 from 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2 or 2.0.3

After upgrading to software release 2.0.4 from 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2 or 2.0.3:

1. Eject the server module from the chassis to remove power.

You do not have to completely remove the server from the chassis. Eject the server module just far enough to disengage it from the chassis connector.

2. Wait 30 seconds, and insert the server module into the chassis.

for later releases this is not needed anymore!

You can see the CPLD version is BUI or CLI

/SYS/MB/CPLD
              Property     Value
              fru_name     CPLD
              fru_version     FW:0140
              • 4. Re: Different ilom versions on CMM/blades + Hardware version of 6000 chassi?
                Hi,
                I have not worked so much with the blades before so I just want to confirm that I understand your post below.

Am I correct when I state:
                I should upgrade all my Sun Blade Chassis CMM and x6250 blades to ilom-3.x.x.x. I don't have to check that my chassi is of a specifik HW revision?

Thanks for your answers!
                /// Fredrik
                • 5. Re: Different ilom versions on CMM/blades + Hardware version of 6000 chassi?
                  Hi,
                  Does anyone have an answer to this?

Are there any hardware requirements on the 6000 chassi to be able to upgrade the CMM (and all my x6250 blades) to ilom-3.x.x.x?

If so, how can I check if my hardware support upgradeing to ilom-3.x.x.x?

BR
                  /// Fredrik
                  • 6. Re: Different ilom versions on CMM/blades + Hardware version of 6000 chassi?
                    Hi,
                    I still have not found an answer to this.

Can anyone confirm that there is no HW dependencies if I want to upgrade my 6000 chassi and x6250 blades to 3.1 and ilom-3.x.x.x?

If there is a HW dependency where can I find info about that?

Best Regards
                    /// Fredrik