6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2010 4:32 AM by 791266 RSS

SunFire V100, without grapic card, x windows

I am a newcomer to this forum and need your help. Please help me with my SunFire V100. It's without any graphic card and cannot open x windows utility for Oracle 8/9i installation. I need to have a good workaround solution for this problem. Much appreciate.
        • 1. Re: SunFire V100, without grapic card, x windows
          The V100 "<b><i>doesn't do X</i></b>"
          You administer the system hardware and the layout of the OS
          through the LOM port, in command-line mode.
          It's a server, not a desktop workstation.
          Get the V100's system documentation and become familiar with it.

I would also guess that Oracle has many guideline documents for its installation via CLI.
          Perhaps try their website for additional installation notes.

Lastly, I hope you're only using the V100 for development or training purposes.
          It would seem to be a poor choice as a production Oracle server.
          Very much underpowered; limited to the two internal IDE disks, no options for external storage; single CPU, etc, etc.
          It would make a very nice mail server or firewall, however.
          • 2. Re: SunFire V100, without grapic card, x windows
            I am unsure if you are still watching this or not, however I installed Solaris 10 on my V100 and everything is working. Even GDM starts up and if I log in via Xnest I can see the log in screen, but I can never get to the desktop. I log in with my username and password, but the login screen comes back after I put in my password.

It's strange since the machine doesnt' have a video card. I don't really need a vide card, however it would make a couple of things easier... anyway... I can do everything with the CLI.
            • 3. Re: SunFire V100, without grapic card, x windows
              The SunFire V100 was designed to be a Web and email server, not much else. Since Solaris 8, the original OS for this server, was built around command line and not GUI. Obviously, you can do more via Command that via GUI when using Solaris 8 and 9. Solaris 10 has a better GUI but is still not as powerful as command.

I do not think you will ever get to the desktop. Let me know if you make it work, I would be interested.
              • 4. Re: SunFire V100, without grapic card, x windows
                I actually figured it out quiet some time ago. Just forgot to come back and post my solution.

My SunFire V100 runs Solaris 10 and I installed NoMachine NX. After the install I just logged into that machine and I was able to see my desktop.
                • 5. Re: SunFire V100, without grapic card, x windows
                  I realize this is an extremely old post, but I wanted to add a quick confirmation: NOMACHINE NX does, indeed, work with the Sunfire V100 right out of the box. Once a username is created:

nxserver useradd <yourname here> <option here>

You're good to go! You'll find that these servers are plentiful on eBay and make for excellent, efficient, web and FTP servers.

-Mancuso
                  • 6. Re: SunFire V100, without grapic card, x windows
                    I'm now locking this thread.

Kaj