This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 26, 2010 8:00 AM by 403074 RSS

Old Sparc IPX

807557 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have an old Sparcstation IPX. I had it hooked up to a friend's Sun monitor years ago and when it booted up it would stop and complained about some framebuffer error message. Does that mean the video card is dead? Anyway I can get this working. I would like to also know what sort of CDROM to buy for it to use? It doesn't have any. Also how do I connect it to to use a regular LCD monitor?

Zach
  • 1. Re: Old Sparc IPX
    403074 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hello,

when it booted up it would stop and complained about some framebuffer error message. Does that mean the video card is dead?

post the error message

I would like to also know what sort of CDROM to buy for it to use?

Desktop SunCD Pack, Desktop SunCD Plus Pack or Desktop SunCD2 Plus Pack with HD50-HD50 cable. Any SCSI-CD-ROM that can be jumpered to 512 Byte blocksize can be used.

how do I connect it to to use a regular LCD monitor?

use a 13W3-HD15 adapter e.g. Sun-Part# 130-3034, but most likely those regular LCD monitor doesn't support the special video mode (and sync-on-green).

The Sun IPX reached EOSL on 5/31/2000. Even fully equipped with 64MB RAM Solaris 2.6 or Solaris 7 are very slow on this system. I guess the integrated battery in the NVRAM/Timekeeper is completely empty too.

SPARCstation IPX Field Service Manual
    http://docs.sun.com/source/800-5774-10/fsm.preface.html

Michael