4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2008 11:17 AM by 807557 RSS

CD-ROM on Ultra10 keeps ejecting disk

Hi. A short while ago I replaced an existing CD-ROM with a new DVD-ROM on an older Ultra10 (OpenBoot version 3.15). From OpenBoot, a probe-ide discovers the DVD-ROM. Regardless, it didn't work. O/S is Solaris 10.

I swapped the DVD with the original CD-ROM. Again, a probe-ide discovered the original CD-ROM. Unfortunately, I now find that whenever I insert a CD-ROM disk, the drive spins up, stops, then ejects the disk. I have verified that the CD-ROM drive and cable and they are OK - based on another computer system. Unfortunately, I didn't verify the CD-ROM was working OK before this adventure.

An iostat -En shows:

Soft Errors: 2, Hard Errors: 1, Transport Errors: 0, Media Error: 0, Device Not Ready: 1, No Device: 0, Recoverable: 0
      Illegal Request:2, Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

I'm still quite new to Solaris - which compounds this problem.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Andre Fischer.
        • 1. Re: CD-ROM on Ultra10 keeps ejecting disk
          Hello Andre,

re-check that the IDE cable is properly attached and none of the pins is bent (drive or systemboard). Maybe you can swap the cable and drive with a known working one. The CD-ROM drive is attached to the second IDE channel und jumpered as MASTER.

If the hard disk contains a working Solaris installation (known root password, network conectivity), I would strongly recommend that you update the OBP/POST ("BIOS" of SPARC systems). Your OBP 3.15 is absolutely outdated, the current and last OBP is 3.31.

Link to the Sun System Handbook page of the Ultra 10
          http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U10/U10.html

Link to the Flash PROM Patch (update)
          http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/advsearch.do?collection=PATCH&type=collections&queryKey5=106121&toDocument=yes

Michael
          • 2. Re: CD-ROM on Ultra10 keeps ejecting disk
            Thank you Michael. I've successfully upgraded the OBP to 3.31 as you suggested. I've also swapped the cables from the Primary and Secondary IDE channels (i.e. Hard Disk now used for CD-ROM and CD-ROM now used for Hard Disk). Unfortunately, I get the same thing.

I swapped the CD-ROM with one from another system. The CD-ROM works fine; however, the other system's CD-ROM exhibits the exact same symptoms as the original drive.

If I insert a CD-ROM into the drive when at the ok prompt, it doesn't get ejected. If I try to boot from the first of 4 CD's containing Solaris 10 - it works. I now suspect it's something within Solaris.

Interesting..... Any ideas?

Andre Fischer.
            • 3. Re: CD-ROM on Ultra10 keeps ejecting disk
              Hello Andre,

Unfortunately, I now find that whenever I insert a CD-ROM disk, the drive spins up, stops, then ejects the disk.

[ after another exchange of the drive ]
              If I insert a CD-ROM into the drive when at the ok prompt, it doesn't get ejected. If I try to boot from the first of 4 CD's containing Solaris 10 - it works. I now suspect it's something within Solaris.

From your first post I got the impression that the CD is ejected at the ok-prompt. Is this a current release of Solaris 10 ? One of the early Solaris Express (before Solaris 10 3/05 was released) showed exactly this behaviour (bug), booting from CD/DVD worked, automounting the CD/DVD didn't.

Michael
              • 4. Re: CD-ROM on Ultra10 keeps ejecting disk
                Thank you Michael. I re-installed the DVD-ROM and tried to use it to install the current version of Solaris. After issuing the boot cdrom command from the OK prompt, it actually started to boot to the cd-rom. A banner showing the Solaris version was displayed.

However, after a minute or so, the following error message "WARNING: timeout: reset timeout chno = 1, targ = 2" was displayed. 30 seconds or so after this what appear to be a partial core dump was displayed, after which the screen went black and the box re-booted itself.

I'm pretty sure this is a different issue, but I'm wondering if the two are related.

Any thoughts?

Andre Fischer.