This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2010 7:45 AM by dcminter RSS

SunPCI won't start in 2010

807557 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have SunPCI 3.2.2 package installed on Solaris 10 with Patch 118591-03. Last week (in 2009) I was able to launch SunPCI from /opt/SUNWspci3/bin/sunpci. When I came back into work this week and tried it I got the following response on the command line:

Opening a SunPCI window...
Your System Time appears to be set in the future
I can't believe it's really Mon Jan 4 15:40:35 2010
Please set the system time correctly.

So far I uninstalled/re-installed the SunPCI package and rebooted to no avail.

If I set my system time back to 2009 SunPCI window launches with no problems.

Was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue in 2010?
  • 1. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    We are having the exact same problem on at least 3 of our cards, the other ones we haven't restarted for fear that they wont come back.
  • 2. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    You can start them by putting setting the system time back to 2009, but obviously that's not a long term solution. Don't know if that helps.
  • 3. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    worst case we can do that.. long term fix would be a patch .. but I'm not holding my breath for that one
  • 4. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    We are seeing the exact same thing happening at our site. We rebooted two and they both had the exact same symptom..

Jan 4 07:43:20 servername SunPCi: [ID 702911 user.error] Your System Time appears to be set in the future
    Jan 4 07:43:20 servername SunPCi: [ID 702911 user.error] I can't believe it's really Mon Jan 4 07:43:20 2010
    Jan 4 07:43:20 servername SunPCi: [ID 702911 user.error] Please set the system time correctly
  • 5. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    795934 Newbie
    Confirm that get the failure with SunPCI3:
    bash-3.00$ /opt/SUNWspci3/bin/sunpci -vga -C /tmp/2K.diskimge
    SunPCi: This machine has multiple network interfaces. If you are using
            SunPC networking, you need to set the environment variable NVL_INTERFACE
            to indicate the desired network interface. Type netstat -i for a list
            of interfaces on this machine.
    Opening a SunPCi window...
    Your System Time appears to be set in the future
    I can't believe it's really Mon Jan  4 23:35:52 2010
    Please set the system time correctly
    Another machine with SunPCI2 fitted doesn't suffer this problem.

(In both cases was using a Windows 2K professional disk image)
  • 6. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    I placed a call to Sun. They are working on this bug, but they don't know when a fix will be available. We couldn't wait, so here is how we started our cards. Depending on your setup, configuration or site policies, some of you may not be able to do this. Do this at your own risk - one of our systems crashed the first time we did this:

- Shutdown any non-essential processes, in case the system crashes or hangs.
    - Temporarily change the date/time back to 2009.
    - Run the sunpci command.
    - As soon as the SunPCI window appears, change the date/time back to the present.
    - The card should continue to boot. Once it is up, it will show the current date/time.
  • 7. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    I have the same problem. The only way I got this to work was to set the system time back to 2009. As you say once the card boots up there is nothing stopping you from adjusting the system back to what it was. Of course to do this you need root access. So your mileage may vary. This bug really sucks.

Juan
  • 8. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    Here is the response we recieved from Sun when a case was opened:

The problem you are observing is being addressed in CR 6913785, which was opened on Dec 31, 2009 when 4 other customer's called with the same issue (there has been quite a few more cases since then). The problem is in the sunpci binary and engineering thinks they are close to having a fix available very soon, but we'll see. As I am now your case owner, I'll let you know when I get an update, and with all the cases being opened, there should be one soon. I will also add this SR to the bug during my work hours on Tuesday.
  • 9. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    Thanks Archie. I spoke to Sun yesterday as well. I'll keep an eye out for the bug fix.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
  • 10. Re: SunPCI won't start in 2010
    807557 Newbie
    Sun is currently working a fix for version 3.2.2. I've alerted them to the fact that the problem exists in 3.1. According to other feedback they received it did not exist in 3.0. If you have a different version it's not working in, be sure to let them know.
  • 11. Patching the sunpcbinary with a hex editor
    795934 Newbie
    Found that the validate_system_time function in the sunpcbinary program is the one which causes the error.

In a hex editor (ghex2) I changed the longword at offset 4CF8 in sunpcbinary from 7FFFFE2E to 01000000. This replaces the call to validate_system_time with a nop. With this modified sunpcbinary managed to get SunPCI3 to boot without having to change the date.

This modification was made to the sunpcbinary from SUNWspci3 version 3.2.2, and may not apply to other versions. Since the sunpcbinary has been manually modified, pkgchk will report the following error:
    # pkgchk SUNWspci3
    ERROR: /opt/SUNWspci3/bin/sunpcbinary
        modtime <09/09/04 05:19:09 AM> expected <01/05/10 11:08:38 PM> actual
        file cksum <47458> expected <46777> actual
  • 12. Re: Patching the sunpcbinary with a hex editor
    807557 Newbie
    Thanks Sun-Worshipper. I'm a newby to the forums and your solution is a lifesaver.

I actually downloaded sweetscapes hexeditor:

http://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/

It's very easy if you have a windows box available. I've never worked with binary files or editors before. I moved the sunpcbinary to a windows machine downloaded the editor, Installed the software and had it edited in less than five minutes. Place the file back in place and am now up and running.
  • 13. Re: Patching the sunpcbinary with a hex editor
    807557 Newbie
    Using SweetScape to edit the binary, I see 00000001 at offset 4CF8. This is the data when read from left to right ie. from 4CF8h to 4CFBh. Wondering, if this reads as 01000000 if considered little-endian, correct ?

I am running OS, if matters any:
    5.8 Generic_108528-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100
  • 14. Re: Patching the sunpcbinary with a hex editor
    807557 Newbie
    Sun-Worshiper. I was able to fix SunPCI 3.2.2 binary. I'm in the process of using a hexeditor to find the validate_system_time call in the SunPCI 3.1 binary. Being new to this I was wondering if you might be able to educate me on how you figured out the offset where the call was made.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
1 2 3 Previous Next