This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2010 3:09 AM by 791266 RSS

911:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 swith

807557 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We've FC switch Brocade SW3800, Firmware v3.1.1b.
We have a switch with a missing password for admin,user, root and factory.
I found the password reset util (www.brocade.com, PasswordRecovery3.0.zip) , made up a serial cable and followed the instructions for resetting the passwords. All looks to have gone correctly, but I still can't log it. What's going on? Anyone got any ideas.
Logins admin, root, factory and user at password "password" incorrect.

iemil@areopag.net
iemil@mail.ru
  • 1. Re: 911:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 swith
    807557 Newbie
    I have the same problem,no User ID and no password...I was wondering if you had any luck resetting the password...I have the utility you mention but that should be to reset the password on multiple switches attached to a master....but you still need the password for the Main switch,please help.
  • 2. Re: 911:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 swith
    807557 Newbie
    Yes, I obtain admittance to brocade switch. That is resolved only with openning case.
    Brocade support send binary image for reseting accounts (admin, root, user, factory) via sun-support-man.
    Regards
    Ismailahunov Emil
    iemil@areopag.net
  • 3. Re: 911:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 swith
    807557 Newbie
    We're having the same problem here. PasswordRecovery3.0.zip utility didn't work. It said it changed the passwords, but we still can't log in to the device.

Is this something we need Sun support call for? Is there another utility that can work to reset the passwords. We do have security enabled on the switches.

Any ideas are wecomed

Thanks
    Max
  • 4. Re:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 switch
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    If you purchased the Brocade switch from Sun,
    then use your service contract and open a case with Sun.
    They will be able to guide you further.

If you obtained it through another vendor,
    you will need to go through that vendor and get assistance from Brocade.
  • 5. Re:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 switch
    807557 Newbie
    I suggest you try....Logging into the switch as

User "root" / Password "fibranne"
    Switchdisable
    Configdefault -> defaults to factory settings Switchenable Reboot

Login as admin/password
  • 6. Re: 911:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 swith
    807557 Newbie
    I've successfully unlocked my Brocade 3800 (aka EMC Connectrix DS-16B2, aka IBM 2109 Model F16, aka HP Surestore FC 1Gb/2Gb Switch 16B) where ALL four password were lost.

If you can access serial console to get [VxWorks Boot] prompt you could use "m" command to modify the memoty and "g" command to go to the address. I've successfully wrote my own bootloader/patcher (with i960 GNU binutils cross-toolchains) and run VxWorks (Fabric OS) any w/o any password authentication. Unfortunately, it's not universal solution and highly dependent from the bootloader/firmware version...

P.S. Seems there is proprietary "backdoor" to unlock password on ALL Brocade's FC devices. There is interesting string passed and analysed in the firmware. Unfotrunately, it is not known how to use it.

brocade1:root> printf "%s\n", passwdResetWWN
    ww:nf:or:re:se:t:pa:ss
    value = 23 = 0x17

("printf" is an internal VxWorks' function and available under "root" access unly)
  • 7. Re: 911:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 swith
    807557 Newbie
    I had same problem - I bought old switch Compaq 2/16-EL (Brocade 3800) with all "locked" accounts. But fortunately "alecv" helped me to unlock this switch - he wrote patch for my FabricOS and after running this patch I can log to root account with any password !!! It really works - I then reset all accounts to defaults and I have now full functionally switch for my home lab :-)

THX for help - GOOD JOB "alecv" - you have deep knowledge about VxWorks/FabricOs and architecture of i960.
  • 8. Re: 911:  lost password for Brocade SilkWorm 3800 swith
    791266 Explorer
    >

Hi,

Please don't resurrect old threads. I'm locking this one.

Kaj