This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2010 12:47 PM by alan.pae RSS

hme0:DLPI link does not exist

807559 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hello guys,
This is my first post in this forum....I've installed Solaris 10 recently in my ia64 pc.
I've encountered a problem configuring my network to create a pppoe connection to my ISP. To add a network interface I issued the following command:
#ifconfig  hme0 plumb
but it gave me 'unknown interface hme0:DLPI link does not exist' error
on issuing
#ifconfig -a
I got there was only a loopback interface lo present in the list

I have two question here:
1) I've nVidia Corporation MCP73 Ethernet controller( is that called a NIC? ). Does Solaris 10 recognize them?
2) Is there any GUI tool to configure network in Solaris like network-manager in Linux?

and obviously a final question:
How to finally get rid of this error?
  • 1. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    alan.pae Journeyer
    #ifconfig  hme0 plumb
    That's an adapter for a SPARC based machine.
    1) I've nVidia Corporation MCP73 Ethernet controller( is that called a NIC? ). Does Solaris 10 recognize them?
    Google finds things pretty quickly.

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5179810
    2) Is there any GUI tool to configure network in Solaris like network-manager in Linux?
    You can always use Nautilus but not by default.

alan
  • 2. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    807559 Newbie
    Thanks Alan,
    that link was helpful,I've installed ngo driver for amd64 and now I have nfo0 Ethernet interface working....

but considering the second information as far as I know (may be it's a misconception) nautilus is a File-Manager. If so, how can it be used to manage network?

Lastly a small question:

how can I schedule this command to be issued at startup:
    ifconfig nfo0 auto-dhcp
    cheers
    samikganguly
  • 3. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    alan.pae Journeyer
    but considering the second information as far as I know (may be it's a misconception) nautilus is a File-Manager. If so, how can it be used to manage network?
    Like I said, not by default. As a file manager you can find the appropriate file and then double click on it to edit it. You can also do the same with gedit or vi in a terminal window for that matter. Most of Solaris is configured from the command line and if you absolutely must have a GUI then there's always nautilus.
    Lastly a small question:

how can I schedule this command to be issued at startup:
    ifconfig nfo0 auto-dhcp
    Since your on Solaris 10 just drop it into /etc/rc3.d/S99netstart or some other similar file name. Check the docs for details for run control scripts. The contents of S99netstart would be just the one line that you provided above with the permissions set to 755.

alan
  • 4. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    807559 Newbie
    alan
    Thanks for your informations.Now I've been gradually realising the CLI-orientation of Solaris.
    Till now I've not tried your solution about executing that command at startup because I have done a little change in that, actually I'm trying to connect to my ISP using pppoe.
    I've modified /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.tmpl and other /etc/ppp/*.tmpl file according to my need and added /etc/resolve.conf and /etc/defaultrouter files with primary and secondary IP and defaultroute in them.At last I issued
    pppd call <ISP>
    and got a sppp0 pppoe interface connected.
    Now I've encountered a different problem.
    My DNS client is in offline state and the following command
    svcadm -v enable dns/client
    svcadm -v refresh(or restart) dns/client
    showed the result
    svcs -a|grep dns/client
    as offline.
    I'm not able to ping none other ip/hosts than my nfo0 and sppp0 inet IP.

what can be the possible solution?
  • 5. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    alan.pae Journeyer
    Thanks for your informations.Now I've been gradually realising the CLI-orientation of Solaris.
    In a large server environment automation is king. The easiest way to automate things is to use some scripting language. Not a GUI.
    I've modified /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.tmpl and other /etc/ppp/*.tmpl file according to my need and added /etc/resolve.conf and /etc/defaultrouter files with primary and secondary IP and defaultroute in them.At last I issued
    pppd call <ISP>
    and got a sppp0 pppoe interface connected.
    My DNS client is in offline state and the following command
    svcadm -v enable dns/client
    svcadm -v refresh(or restart) dns/client
    showed the result
    svcs -a|grep dns/client
    as offline.
    Impossible. There simply is no such thing as a DNS client. All the DNS client is, is a mechanism that support hostname lookups through the resolver libraries.

You need to check /etc/nsswitch.conf for the dns tag on the hosts and ipnodes lines. After that make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is populated correctly.

You can use dig or nslookup to see if it is setup correctly. Post the complete output of either one so we can see what you're seeing.

alan
  • 6. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    alan.pae Journeyer
    svcs -a |grep dns
    disabled 12:04:14 svc:/network/dns/multicast:default
    online 12:04:28 svc:/network/dns/client:default
    online 12:04:45 svc:/network/dns/server:default
    root@d630.ilkda.com:~# svcadm disable dns/client
    root@d630.ilkda.com:~# svcs -a |grep dns
    disabled 12:04:14 svc:/network/dns/multicast:default
    disabled 13:18:41 svc:/network/dns/client:default
    online 12:04:45 svc:/network/dns/server:default
    root@d630.ilkda.com:~# nslookup www.sun.com
    Server:          x.x.x.x
    Address:     x.x.x.x#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:     www.sun.com
    Address: 137.254.16.57
  • 7. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    807559 Newbie
    the main topic is answered but i've some douts
  • 8. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    807559 Newbie
    First of all, I admit that I've been such a silly person that I named the /etc/resolv.conf as /etc/resolve.conf.
    And then as u have mentioned I changed the tag associated with ipnodes and hosts in nsswitch.conf from 'files' to 'dns'.
    nslookup results were same as given.
    Then I enabled dns/server and dns/client by svcadm command. On issuing svcs -a|grep dns then I found dns/client was in online and dns/server was in maintenance state.

Ultimately now I can browse net and ping everything.....Thank u Alan!!

I admit for automation scripting is unmatchable and moreover I believe it gives a better customizing power to user but wouldn't it be better for new user like me to be provided with a Network-Manager GUI? Or do u think it's a waste of time and space to provide it?
  • 9. Re: hme0:DLPI link does not exist
    alan.pae Journeyer
    And then as u have mentioned I changed the tag associated with ipnodes and hosts in nsswitch.conf from 'files' to 'dns'.
    Most people would have both separated by a space. The nsswitch.conf file sets the order for name service lookup. Multiple entries per line are allowed.
    I admit for automation scripting is unmatchable and moreover I believe it gives a better customizing power to user but wouldn't it be better for new user like me to be provided with a Network-Manager GUI? Or do u think it's a waste of time and space to provide it?
    I use Network Manager all the time as an end-user. Most people are afraid to switch from Windows to something else and because of the GUI everything they have no clue how Windows actually works and if you gave them something else with similar GUI tools they really wouldn't know the difference. I'll say ZFS is better than NTFS and for either ZFS or NTFS for that matter all you're gonna get is a blank stare.

alan