This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2009 12:24 PM by 807559 RSS

How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD

807559 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
The format of the bootable DVD and CD 1 of Solaris 10 U6 sparc has changed from previous Solaris 10 update's sparc media, it now seems to be more like the x86 format, can anyone provide the new/specific mkisofs command to use to recreate (modified version) a sparc bootable ISO image file of these from their "unloaded" directory paths, I'm guessing the mkisofs command is going to be similiar what's used for recreating Solaris 10 x86 DVD and CD1.
  • 1. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Here is the command line for SPARC:

/usr/bin/mkisofs -G /path/to/image/boot/hsfs.bootblock -B ... -l -ldots -R -N -D -V SOL_10_1008_SPARC -o /destination/solarisdvd.iso /path/to/image

For comparison, x86:

/usr/bin/mkisofs -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -c .catalog -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -relaxed-filenames -l -ldots -r -N -d -D -V SOL_10_1008_X86 -o /destination/solarisdvd.iso /path/to/image/solarisdvd.product

mkisofs version is: 2.01.01a38

-- Alan
  • 2. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Alan,

Thanks for info, when I try this mkisofs command to recreate the Sol 10 U6 CD 1 ISO image I end up 16 KB short of the original downloaded ISO size of Sol 10 U6 CD 1, the generated ISO image when burn to CD doesn't boot, I tried using both mkisofs version that comes with Sol 10 U6 & version *2.01.01a53*, here's the test I did:

mount Sol 10 U6 CD 1 as /mnt (CD 1 burned from downloaded ISO from Sun that is *512904 KB* in size)

mkisofs -G /mnt/boot/hsfs.bootblock -B ... -l -ldots -R -N -D -V SOL_10_1008_SPARC -o test.iso /mnt

Genereated ISO image file test.iso is *512888 KB* in size and doesn't boot when burned to CD with error messages:

Can't read disk label.

Can't open disk label package

ERROR: boot-read fail

Any ideas?

--Scott                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 3. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Sorry, big false alarm, the mkisofs did create a bootable ISO image, despite the 16KB difference in sizes, my suspected boot problem turned out to be an issue with the CD not being inserted correctly (far enough in) on a newer tray-less CD drive to be able to mount, I was remote to the physical server and had a co-worker check the drive. Thanks again Alan for the info.

--scott                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 4. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Hi

The Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) x86 download is not itself a iso Bootable DVD; Why Sun does not provide such bootable iso to download??

Francis ANDRE
  • 5. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Your statement is off-topic, but for the record It is a bootable DVD image. Many people use it all the time. If it does not boot for you, it could be due to hardware-related issues or how the disc was burned.

-- Alan
  • 6. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Hi Alanst,

I know this off topic as well but I am trying to create a Solaris 10 05/09 DVD to deploy a flash archive and was wondering if
    you know of any-one that has done this?
  • 7. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    I am in the middle of attempting to create a Solaris 10 05/09 DVD to deploy a flash archive. I have been following these instructions. http://blogs.sun.com/jcecere/entry/creating_a_customized_boot_dvd

I tested the DVD in a T2000 and it attempted to boot off the DVD, but then claimed that the file was not executable. What am I missing?
  • 8. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    in fact, i have a similar problem
    Solaris 10 U6 x86 dvd iso downloaded some days ago is not bootable.

digest -a md5 sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso
    ae8e9aa4a1a3f3fd8846a4caef9f09e2

does not boot, all other iso images written with the same writer boot just fine.
  • 9. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Please check previous postings in the various forums. This type of question has been asked many times. Obviously the image can be downloaded, burned and booted, since many people have done so. Other forum replies include questions on DVD media quality, hardware errors if you try to mount the disc on a running system, etc. Maybe you want to try the latest release S10 U8 (10/09) and see if you have any issues.

-- Alan
  • 10. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Alan,

I am looking for a Sparc version of:

GRUB AND THE SOLARIS™ OPERATING SYSTEM ON X86 PLATFORMS - A GUIDE TO CREATING A CUSTOMIZED BOOT DVD
    John Cecere, Sun Services
    Sun BluePrints™ OnLine — August 2006

I understand the differences in the boot process for Update 8 and I am running into trouble de-composing the DVD (hsfs.bootblock, Grub menu, custom configuration). John Cecere's document was extremely helpfull for x86. I am now working on a Sparc version. I am specifying a "config.tar" in the Grub menu on x86 and I'm hoping the same process will work on sparc.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
  • 11. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Sorry, I don't know of any equivalent document for SPARC. You could try going to bigadmin.com and asking or poking around there. But I believe the processes are much closer now than they were, so you might be able to get it functioning.

-- Alan
  • 12. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    Thanks, Alan.

I believe the mkisofs command you provided in this thread is good. I'm trying to adapt the x86 "find ... cpio" to build the staging area. Do you know if that will work? I have found references to 8 slices on the SPARC DVD. What effect does that have?

Thanks again.

John
  • 13. Re: How to create ISO images for Solaris 10 U6 (10/08) SPARC CD 1 and DVD
    807559 Newbie
    As of S10U6 (10/08) there is only a single slice on the SPARC DVD, with the same structure as the x86 DVD. So it should now work the same.

-- Alan