3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 6:32 PM by 807567

Unable to apply patch 119254-59

I have been attempting to install the Solaris Update 6 10/08 patch set, I have a few systems that can't be reloaded but would benefit from an update from a previous Solaris update and have been running into some issues specifically related to patch 119254-59. The patch bundle starts up and finds patches 120900-04 and 121133-02 and so skips their installation. It then starts in on patch 119254-59 and fails telling me to look at the logs. I open the log at /var/sadm/patch/119254-59/log and find this...
      This appears to be an attempt to install the same architecture and
      version of a package which is already installed.  This installation
      will attempt to overwrite this package.

/disk/trump/ody/10_sparc_1008_patchbundle/patches/119254-59/SUNWinstall-patch-utils-root/install/checkinstall: /disk/trump/ody/10_sparc_1008_patchbundle/patches/119254-5
      9/SUNWinstall-patch-utils-root/install/checkinstall: cannot open
      pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
      Dryrun complete.
      No changes were made to the system.
      This is a recently unzipped patch bundle and the checkinstall scripts do certainly exist. Any ideas on what the package is really failing on?
        • 1. Re: Unable to apply patch 119254-59
          user4994457
          Solaris 2 FAQ
          http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q5.59

5.59) Patch installation often fails with "checkinstall" errors.

When installing a patch, the Solaris 2.5+ patch installation procedure will execute the script "checkinstall" with uid nobody.

If any of the patch files or if any part of the path leading up to the patch directory cannot be read by nobody, an error similar to the following will appear:

patchadd .                    # or ./installpatch .
          Generating list of files to be patched...
          Verifying sufficient filesystem capacity (exhaustive method) ...
          Installing patch packages...
          pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
          You can workaround this in two ways, one is to make sure that the user "nobody" can read all patch files and execute a "pwd" in the patch directory or add an account "install" to /etc/passwd:

install:x:0:1:installpatch braindamage:/:/bin/true

Installpatch and patchadd use "nobody" as a fallback if it cannot find the "install" user.

--
          Darren
          • 2. Re: Unable to apply patch 119254-59
            Wow, that solved all my problems and made my day! babababy

Edited by: babababy on Jun 25, 2009 4:10 AM
            • 3. Re: Unable to apply patch 119254-59
              I guess the user nobody is not allowed to enter the directory you have your patches unzipped.

Try this:
              mv /disk/trump/ody/10_sparc_1008_patchbundle /10_sparc_1008_patchbundle
              and run the installer there.