This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2009 12:58 PM by 800381 RSS

Static route and NFS server issue

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Admins,

We have few Solaris 9 servers which are using some NFS mount points from a NFS server. The NFS server is in different subnet and I have added the static route to this subnet in /etc/rc2.d/S95routeadd file.

There is a problem during the server bootup where it hangs indefinitly since the /etc/vfstab is executing before the S95routeadd script so it cannot reach the NFS server.

All the time I have to boot the server in single user mode and disable the nfs mounts in the /etc/vfstab file and boot properly and re-mount them.

Is there any solution for this ? Is there are way to add the static route for the NFS server before the file system getting mounted ?

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Static route and NFS server issue
    alan.pae Journeyer
    Use the soft,background option.

alan
  • 2. Re: Static route and NFS server issue
    807567 Newbie
    Hi Alan,

Thank you for the reply.

But sorry but I didn't get your solution completely. Could you please explain how to do it ?

Thanks in advance,
  • 3. Re: Static route and NFS server issue
    Robert Cohen Newbie
    I prefer using automount to specifying NFS mounts in the vfstab.
  • 4. Re: Static route and NFS server issue
    800381 Explorer
    Never use "soft" NFS mounts unless you're absolutely sure single every application on your system is properly coded to handle failed returns from read() and write() calls every single time those calls are made, and you're willing to deal with apps running from binaries/shared objects on NFS-mounted file systems failing and dropping core files all over the place when they SIGSEGV or SIGBUS when their underlying mmap()'d binary/shared object can't be accessed and the access returns a failure.

If any of your applications are not properly coded to handle failed read() or write() calls every single time they make those calls, you may very will wind up with data corruption as those apps ignore failed IO calls.

And network hiccups causing apps to crash is probably not an issue you want to deal with.
  • 5. Re: Static route and NFS server issue
    alan.pae Journeyer
    dushank wrote:
    Hi Alan,

Thank you for the reply.

But sorry but I didn't get your solution completely. Could you please explain how to do it ?

Thanks in advance,
    Background mounts will allow the mount to fail and it will keep retrying it in the "Background" until it succeeds or timesout. Head the warning from Andrew on soft mounts. I've always used them in conjunction.

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch29_:_Remote_Disk_Access_with_NFS

Or try the man pages.

alan