5 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 5:48 PM by user4994457

error from automountd

I am getting lots of the following error in /var/adm/messages:

May 11 23:34:07 hostname automountd[452]: [ID 834250 daemon.error] Mount of server:/0/users/.raw_data on /home/.raw_data: No such file or directory

I assume .raw_data is some file that automountd is trying to look for to get some sort of configuration info or some such. How is this file supposed to get created, or how do I configure automountd to quick looking for it?

Thanks!

Mike VanHorn
      michael.vanhorn@wright.edu
        • 1. Re: error from automountd
          user4994457
          mr_vanhorn wrote:
          I am getting lots of the following error in /var/adm/messages:

May 11 23:34:07 hostname automountd[452]: [ID 834250 daemon.error] Mount of server:/0/users/.raw_data on /home/.raw_data: No such file or directory

I assume .raw_data is some file that automountd is trying to look for to get some sort of configuration info or some such.
          No, I think some script or program is trying to access the file (or a path that begins with) /home/.raw_data. If you have a wildcard in your automount map that matches anything, then it could be mapping that to the above path. Do you have wildcards in your automount map?
          How is this file supposed to get created, or how do I configure automountd to quick looking for it?
          It's not automountd looking for it, it's automountd trying to mount it because some other process on the machine is looking for it.

You could not use wildcards, or you could put a null entry for that path ahead of the wildcard.

--
          Darren
          • 2. Re: error from automountd
            Darren_Dunham wrote:
            No, I think some script or program is trying to access the file (or a path that begins with) /home/.raw_data. If you have a wildcard in your automount map that matches anything, then it could be > mapping that to the above path. Do you have wildcards in your automount map?
            No. Neither auto_master or auto_home have any wildcards in them.
            It's not automountd looking for it, it's automountd trying to mount it because some other process on the machine is looking for it.
            Okay, I guess I will start combing the system for something that would look for /home/.raw_data.

Thanks!

---
            Mike VanHorn
            • 3. Re: error from automountd
              user4994457
              If you don't have wildcards, then can you reproduce this?

If you do 'ls /home/.raw_data', do you generate the same message in your logs? Because without wildcards, it shouldn't be turning that into a specific mount location (server:/0/users/.raw_data). You don't have an NIS automount map do you?

Are you running Solaris 10?

--
              Darren
              • 4. Re: error from automountd
                Darren_Dunham wrote:
                If you don't have wildcards, then can you reproduce this?

If you do 'ls /home/.raw_data', do you generate the same message in your logs? Because without wildcards, it shouldn't be turning that into a specific mount location (server:/0/users/.raw_data).
                You don't have an NIS automount map do you?
                Yes, I'm sorry, I forgot. We've got a bunch of machines that don't use the NIS automount map, and I forgot that this machine was one that did. So, yes, the NIS auto_home has

* server:/0/users/&
                Are you running Solaris 10?
                Yes.

So, what's happening then is that something is trying to access /home/.raw_data, and this is getting caught by automount and mapped to a supposed home directory. The client tries to mount it from the server, and that fails (because there is no file system named .raw_data) and generates the error in the log on the client. Right?

Thanks!

---
                Mike VanHorn
                • 5. Re: error from automountd
                  user4994457
                  Correct.

Because you're running Solaris 10, you have dtrace available. It might be worthwhile to get the dtrace toolkit and use one of the programs (like opensnoop or iosnoop) and see if you can see what process is trying to access files in that path.

I wouldn't try restricting to that filename exactly, because it might really be trying to open /home/.raw_data/foo instead.

Good luck.
                  --
                  Darren