2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2009 2:09 AM by 807567 RSS

changing host ip and netmask

Hello,
      I have a sparc based Citrix XenApp server using solaris 10. I had to change the hostname, ip, netmask and default gateway of the server, so I modified the following files.
      /etc/hosts
      /etc/inet/hosts
      /etc/inet/ipnodes
      /etc/inet/netmasks
      /etc/defaultdomain
      /etc/defaultrouter
      /etc/resolve.conf (different DNS)
      my nsswitch.conf remained the same.

After all this modifications I could not go to the graphical login. DTlogin was up, but when I was using my credentials it was sort of freezing using Citrix or the local screen and keyboard. I can only manage the system through ssh or serial management.
      What I get from my logs is the following

Sep 23 17:36:22 <server> svc.startd[7]: [ID 694882 daemon.notice] instance svc:/system/console-login:default exited with status 8
      Sep 23 17:41:27 <server> last message repeated 2 times
      Sep 23 17:51:33 <server> svc.startd[7]: [ID 694882 daemon.notice] instance svc:/system/console-login:default exited with status 8

and so on ....

also looking to the smf logs I just get the following
      [ Sep 23 17:51:33 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
      [ Sep 23 17:51:33 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/console-login") ]
      [ Sep 23 17:56:35 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
      [ Sep 23 17:56:35 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/console-login") ]
      [ Sep 23 18:01:36 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
      [ Sep 23 18:01:37 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/console-login") ]

The service is restarting every 5 minutes when I use XenApp (I think XenApp is trying over and over again).

also
      svcs -xv and svcs -l svc:/system/console-login:default
      do not report anything out of the ordinary

After searching thoroughly in the net i tried a sys-unconfig. Using the serial management I setup the system but am getting exactly the same messages in the logs. Are there any ideas to reenable a graphics console on my computer? I have hit a wall and am willing to try crazy ideas. I might even try to format the machine if anything else fails.

Cheers
      Nick