1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 17, 2010 9:20 AM by 796313 RSS

Wow - Is SMC 4.0 worth the effort? VERY unimpressed so far.

Is Sun putting any serious effort into this product?? I just installed a 4.0 server and client and find it horribly buggy.

Server installed on a Solaris 10 u8 system. Client installed on a u8 system.

Show-stopper problems right out of the box:
      1) Java console won't connect. Tried from a mac, linux, and windows system. No logging or useful error messages. And yes, I tweaked the SMF properties to enable the services to listen on all interfaces. It was only listening on loopback initially. (Documentation failed to mention this)
      2) Web console will at least log in but nothing works after that.. Aside from the navigation panel on the left missing items (Tools & Monitor categories were empty) When I try to discover, I enter the subnet information (just using a single IP address of my client) I then click next and nothing happens. No error, no message, no dialog. Just keeps me staring at the initial dialog where I enter the subnet info. I then tried IE on a window box. Opera on a Mac, Firefox on mac and linux. Identical behavior across all. I of course dummied down all security settings to pretty much wide open.
      3) I then tried to drill down into default domain and create an object. Same thing - nothing happens. I click next and nada. No errors. No useful logging information. nada.
      4) I then tried to install the console on a windows box. After the installer completed, all I ended up with is some XML file in the program files\SUNWsysmon directory. Once again no logfile or anything else to suggest an error or problem.

Just curious, what config will this work on at all? Its a huge fail right now.

Thx for any info
        • 1. Re: Wow - Is SMC 4.0 worth the effort? VERY unimpressed so far.
          Hi rhugga1,

Sorry to hear you're having problems :(
          rhugga1 wrote:
          Show-stopper problems right out of the box:
          1) Java console won't connect. Tried from a mac, linux, and windows system. No logging or useful error messages.
          Did you run the standalone Java Console (i.e. you installed it on your desktop), or do you mean the Java Console that can be launched from the link in your browser? If in standalone mode, were you running any personal firewalls (i.e. Windows firewall or ZoneAlarm on Windows, iptables on Linux etc)?

You could try logging in using the CLI on your SunMC Server (/opt/SUNWsymon/sbin/es-cli) to see if it's a connectivity issue or a user/password issue.
          rhugga1 wrote:
          2) Web console will at least log in but nothing works after that.. Aside from the navigation panel
          on the left missing items (Tools & Monitor categories were empty) When I try to discover, I enter
          Are you running a full install of Solaris (i.e. SUNWCXall or SUNWCall)? Has any hardening been done to the OS (like JASS/SST scripts being run)? The web UI should work, but I would diagnose your Java Console issues first, since they both end up talking to the same back-end (and the Java Console is more useful).
          rhugga1 wrote:
          4) I then tried to install the console on a windows box. After the installer completed, all I ended up with
          is some XML file in the program files\SUNWsysmon directory. Once again no logfile or anything else
          to suggest an error or problem.
          What version of Windows did you install the Java Console on? And what version of Java did you have installed? SunMC officially only 'supports' some of the older versions of Windows, but it actually runs pretty much everywhere (i.e. we've had customers run it on Macs, and I'm running it on a Ubuntu box right now). The installer should have put a SunMC icon on your desktop if it completed successfully.

Regards,

Mike.Kirk@HalcyonInc.com