5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2011 9:47 AM by user484454 RSS

What is Platform Agent?

Hi,
      Does anybody has any idea what is platform agent and which of the servers would this agent. I am trying to understand the difference between an agent and a platform agent? How do I install platform agent?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: What is Platform Agent?
          wrobbins2
          Platform Agent described here: [http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-2215/sizing-32?l=en&a=view&q=platform+agent]
          • 2. Re: What is Platform Agent?
            Sun 3800-6900 series systems don't run Solaris on their system controllers... so you can't install a regular SunMC Agent on them. Instead you enabled an extra "platform" Agent on a different system (usually the SunMC Server) that acted as sort of a proxy for the controllers, and communicated with them using SNMP.

If you don't have one of these models in your environment, you have no need for 'platform' Agents:

Regards,

Mike.Kirk@HalcyonInc.com
            • 3. Re: What is Platform Agent?
              Hi Mike,

I am worried about 6800 servers and I have a few m5000 and m4000 servers that are giving me a config reader error.

Thanks
              • 4. Re: What is Platform Agent?
                zeealee - the config reader error you mentioned on the M5000 and M4000 can be avoided by installing the Mx000 Version 3 Add-On module package on your SunMC server.

the XSCF on the M-Series will also need to be configured for SunMC.. this can be done using the "setsunmc" command on the XSCF. issuing a "man setsunmc" will provide you instructions.

also - a strange requirement for SunMC on the XSCF is that a nameserver is set. this can be done with a "setnameserver"
                • 5. Re: What is Platform Agent?
                  user484454
                  The document ---from FUJITSU---SPARC Enterprise™
                  M3000/M4000/M5000/M8000/M9000
                  Servers XSCF Reference Manual

---------
                  could be useful for XSCF commands .