1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2010 8:51 AM by 807567 RSS

Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager

I need to know how to Manage Solaris services (SMF) in sparse zone with Solaris container manager.
      I have navigated all the documentation and I have not found any clue.
      I installed the Sun management center (SMC) server on a server box and the agents on others. I can manage the SMF of the global zone by drilling down via the console GUI. But having access to the container manager, I have to go via https connection. And drilling down on the zone did not reveal that SMF can be monitored.
      Please if you have any idea, share it with me.
        • 1. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
          Hi ibroxy,
          ibroxy wrote:
          I need to know how to Manage Solaris services (SMF) in sparse zone with Solaris container manager.
          I have navigated all the documentation and I have not found any clue.
          I installed the Sun management center (SMC) server on a server box and the agents on others. I can manage the SMF of the global zone by drilling down via the console GUI. But having access to the container manager, I have to go via https connection. And drilling down on the zone did not reveal that SMF can be monitored.
          Please if you have any idea, share it with me.
          Solaris Container Manager is designed to let you create/destroy/migrate/reboot and resource-cap zones and containers, so it doesn't really have anything to to with SMF. Instead you could try loading the "[Service Management Facility|http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5417/6n7gj82ds]" or "[Process Monitoring|http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5417/6n7gj82dr?a=view#i1036007]" modules into your SunMC Agent. The SMF module shows you the overall service state (and allows you to change it), and Process Monitoring lets you track process counts, existence, and CPU/memory usage (and set alarm for them or graph them etc).

Or were you looking at SCM because you were having problems loading the SMF module in a local zone SunMC Agent?

Also, were you just looking to see if a SMF service was online/offline, or did you also need to track process details (i.e. graph CPU and memory use)? If you need some more complex graphing features there are addons for SunMC that may be able to help: send me an email!

Regards,

Mike.Kirk@HalcyonInc.com
          • 2. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
            Thanks for your response,
            I want to monitor some service if its online or offline. and as i said earlier, this can be done perfectly on the global zone but not on the local zone which can only be seen on "manage solaris containers" section of the SMC webpage.
            • 3. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
              Hi ibroxy,
              ibroxy wrote:
              Thanks for your response,
              I want to monitor some service if its online or offline. and as i said earlier, this can be done perfectly on the global zone but not on the local zone which can only be seen on "manage solaris containers" section of the SMC webpage.
              What problems are you seeing in the local zones? Error messages? Have you installed SunMC Agents in your local zones? Or are those Agents not able to load the Service Management Facility module (i.e. permission errors)?

Or can you see the SMF module properly in the SunMC Java Console... but the module doesn't look right (or appear at all) in the web browser?

The SMF module running in a local zone Agent should do what you want, I think. If not, could you email me a screenshot of the error you're seeing?

Thanks,

Mike.Kirk@HalcyonInc.com
              • 4. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                What is the web address to go to in order to login in to the Sun MC Container Manager. Is there a main address to go on the server which gives the list of all the options and management tools available.

thanks
                • 5. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                  Hi Zeealee,
                  zeealee wrote:
                  What is the web address to go to in order to login in to the Sun MC Container Manager. Is there a main address to go on the server which gives the list of all the options and management tools available.
                  SCM is shown as a tab in the main SunMC web interface (SSL port 6789 on your SunMC Server)

https://<sunmc_server>:6789
                  - login then:
                  --> click "SunMC 4.0"
                  --> click "Manage Solaris Containers"

The newest version looks a bit different, but the [screenshot here|http://www.halcyoninc.com/solutions/container-appliance.php] gives you an idea of what you'll get. I haven't used SCM in awhile myself: need to brush up on it :)

Regards,

Mike.Kirk@Halcyoninc.com
                  • 6. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                    Hi Mike,

I have tried that, but it says page not found or some other error. On some of the other servers where I have installed Solaris Container Manager he authentication page shows up but asks me for username and password. I am not sure what username and password is it asking for.

Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                      zeealee wrote:
                      Hi Mike,

I have tried that, but it says page not found or some other error. On some of the other servers where I have installed Solaris Container Manager he authentication page shows up but asks me for username and password. I am not sure what username and password is it asking for.

Thanks.
                      Are you specifying the SunMC server name when you enter the url: https://<sunmc_server>:6789 ? This should bring you to the log in page of the web console and you should be able to log in using the same username/password as you would use with your java console.

If you get a page not found error, check to see if the webconsole service is enabled:

# svcs | grep svc:/system/webconsole:console

If it is not online, enable it:

# svcadm enable svc:/system/webconsole:console

Pegah Garousi
                      Halcyon Monitoring Solutions
                      • 8. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                        I have tried restarting webconsole service as well.
                        For some wiered reason the address https://HOSTNAME:PORT(6789) is not working on the Sun MC server, but it is working on other machines. I could login and the only item I can see there is ZFS administration. I am more interested about container manager than anything else.
                        Any more ideas?
                        • 9. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                          Hi,

check these:
                          - Version of webserver latest is 3.1
                          # smcwebserver -V
                          - check webconsole is started and running
                          # smcwebserver status
                          Sun Java(TM) Web Console is running
                          # svcs webconsole
                          STATE STIME FMRI
                          online 19:38:06 svc:/system/webconsole:console
                          # svcs -pl webconsole
                          fmri svc:/system/webconsole:console
                          name java web console
                          enabled true
                          state online
                          next_state none
                          state_time Wed Feb 10 19:38:06 2010
                          logfile /var/svc/log/system-webconsole:console.log
                          restarter svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
                          contract_id 64
                          dependency require_all/none svc:/milestone/network (online)
                          dependency require_all/refresh svc:/milestone/name-services (online)
                          dependency require_all/none svc:/system/filesystem/local (online)
                          dependency optional_all/none svc:/system/filesystem/autofs (online) svc:/network/nfs/client (online)
                          dependency require_all/none svc:/system/system-log (online)
                          process 843 /usr/java/bin/java -server -Xmx128m -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4

- check port 6789 is listen mode
                          # netstat -an | grep 6789
                          *.6789 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN
                          if the output show
                          localhost .6789 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN
                          than do these:
                          - check that the tcp_listen of webconsole service is true, default is false
                          # svccfg -s webconsole listprop options/tcp_listen
                          options/tcp_listen boolean false
                          # svcadm disable svc:/system/webconsole:console
                          # svccfg -s webconsole setprop options/tcp_listen=true
                          options/tcp_listen boolean true

Regards
                          • 10. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                            Hi,

additinal what say "wcadmin list -a" ?
                            Have you SunMC installed ? As with the SunMC addon Container management the webconsole
                            Container management module will be installed.

Regards
                            • 11. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                              I checked the port 6789 using netstat -an command, but the port is being listened on loopback 127.0.0.1
                              • 12. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                                Hi,

and here is the problem due an security fix the listen tcp is been disabled in SMF with webconsole 3.1 patch.

To enable these again do these:

options/tcp_listen boolean false
                                # svcadm disable svc:/system/webconsole:console
                                # svccfg -s webconsole setprop options/tcp_listen=true
                                options/tcp_listen boolean true

After that netstat -an |grep 6789 should show *.6789.

Regards
                                • 13. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                                  Thanks busddy,

It worked.
                                  Any ideas on how to disable ZFS administration feature on the webconsole on Sun MC 4.0?
                                  • 14. Re: Monitoring services in zones with Solaris container Manager
                                    Hi,

use wcadmin todo these:

# man wcadmin

- disable zfs
                                    # wcadmin disable -x zfs

- to enable it again
                                    # wcadmin enable -x zfs

use man wcadmin for more if you want to remove it.

Regards
                                    1 2 Previous Next