5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2010 3:39 PM by 807750 RSS

How do you add a new machine as an agent only to be seen by the server....?

I'm fairly new to this but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I configured what I call a sysadmin server to serve as a SunMC-4.0, Console, Agent & Server. I can connect to the server and I see all the Modules and what's
      running to I'm good there.

Where I am having a problem is that I setup on a second Solaris 10 box as just an agent box, configured it and started it sucessfully. Pointed it at the 1st machine (the server) and all seems well.

My problem is when I start the console on the server (machine #1) it still only sees itself not the second machine. I have looked through all the doc's that I have and there is nothing really on setting this up? A lot on jumpstart etc.
      but I just want to setup about 10 machine as agents (only) and use the one server machine to see them all. If someone could point me in the right direction I would much appreciate it.

Thanks,
      Tom

Edited by: ConsumerUser on Jan 26, 2010 11:19 PM

Edited by: ConsumerUser on Jan 26, 2010 11:20 PM
        • 1. Re: How do you add a new machine as an agent only to be seen by the server....?
          HI ConsumerUser,
          ConsumerUser wrote:
          My problem is when I start the console on the server (machine #1) it still only sees itself not the
          second machine. I have looked through all the doc's that I have and there is nothing really on
          setting this up?
          New Agents don't automatically populate themselves into the Console, you need to either tell SunMC about them (i.e. specify their hostname/IP) or have it scan a range of IPs to find it for you. For just a few systems you can probably just enter them as you go: [Edit --> Create Object|http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5417/6n7gj8249?l=en&a=view]

For larger installs many people also script the creation of icons using the SunMC CLI to make their life easier. If you're interested send me an email and I can point you to a sample script.

Congrats on starting to use SunMC, it's a fantastic tool!

Regards,

Mike.Kirk@HalcyonInc.com
          • 2. Re: How do you add a new machine as an agent only to be seen by the server....?
            Mike,

Thanks! That points me in the right direction, quick question though when you set them up do you use "SNMP Ping" selection when you create the objects for your Sun machines? It's the default just haven't gotten everything down yet. I'm printing out all 440 pages to read :)

Thanks!
            Tom Bishop
            • 3. Re: How do you add a new machine as an agent only to be seen by the server....?
              ITs not answered posted a more precise posting...
              • 4. Re: How do you add a new machine as an agent only to be seen by the server....?
                This seems to be a strange creature to setup :( .... I have made sure all the "keys" are the same, made sure the SMC port or more specific the SNMP port is 11161, community name is "public" just to make sure that all 3 machines are on the same page. On my test suite I can get it to work and on my production suite I can only get the server to see the server adding a new AGENT object in the console I get bad port or hostname? Anyone else have this issue when wanting to run one, my setup is as follows....

Server/Console/Agent Combo (1 Server)

Agent (only) (2 Agent only boxes) to be added to the server to be visible....

Just curious...

Thanks
                Tom

Edited by: ConsumerUser on Feb 4, 2010 8:27 AM
                • 5. Re: How do you add a new machine as an agent only to be seen by the server....?
                  You can try using IP address only rather than the hostname. Also, try unqualified Domain Names as well when trying to create the object. Also, make sure agent is running on the machines use ps-ef | grep esd. You can also modify the domain x file on your agents and vi it and change hostname of the server to IP address.
                  I hope this helps