This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2010 3:43 PM by 807567 RSS

How to Create a Node (agent) in the main console

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I posted before but wanted to be more specific.... I have loaded the console, server and agent on a machine that's sole purpose
is SMC-4.0. I am wanting to add "agent" machines to the main domain screen so I can monitor my other machines as well.
I have set them up with and Agent only install. I have gone through the chapter where it has "Creating Objects" -> "To Create a node" ->
Gone through chose "Sun Management Center Agent - Host" -> then added the IP, port info, host name etc.....
When I hit OK or apply it just eventually times out. Installed it with port 1161 like the book said on all machines.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tom
  • 1. Re: How to Create a Node (agent) in the main console
    796313 Newbie
    Hi Tom,
    ConsumerUser wrote:
    I posted before but wanted to be more specific.... I have loaded the console, server and agent on a machine that's sole purpose
    is SMC-4.0. I am wanting to add "agent" machines to the main domain screen so I can monitor my other machines as well.
    I have set them up with and Agent only install. I have gone through the chapter where it has "Creating Objects" -> "To Create a node" ->
    Gone through chose "Sun Management Center Agent - Host" -> then added the IP, port info, host name etc.....
    When I hit OK or apply it just eventually times out. Installed it with port 1161 like the book said on all machines.
    If you're sure the Agent is actually on port 1161, then it's likely a security issue. The most common being that the Agent was installed with a different "seed' value than the Server, or it was installed believing it was its own Server, or the Agent is using the wrong IP address when identifying itself (i.e. the Agent system has more than one network card, and it's using the wrong one).

Icon creation troubleshooting steps can be found here, and instructions on how to get an Agent to bind to a different network can be found here.

Regards,

Mike.Kirk@HalcyonInc.com
  • 2. Re: How to Create a Node (agent) in the main console
    807567 Newbie
    I followed your instructions with "snmpwalk" and I get data flying by but at the end of the stream I always get this:

ule:enabletimewindow?description = base.modules.default:enabletimewindow\12?schedule:enabletimewindow?access = rw\12?schedule:enabletimewindow?format = timewindow\12?schedule:loadtimewindow?description = base.modules.default:loadtimewindow\12?schedule:loadtimewindow?access = rw\12?schedule:loadtimewindow?format = timewindow\12
    Request Timed Out: /opt/SUNWsymon/util/bin/snmpwalk -h 192.168.0.85 -p 162 -c public 1.3.6

I am on a simple network, no firewalls just switches ($20 ones) non managed. I have changed all the community strings to default (public) made the password simple (solaris) or key whatever it is called. and made port 1161 the port instead of 1161....

I'm stumped?

Anything else I can try?

Tom