This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2010 5:53 AM by 807567 RSS

Patches for  Sun Studio 12 Update 1

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear all,

I have recently installed Sun Studio 12 Update 1 on an x86 system and have some questions pertaining to the required patches. According to my understanding of the text on the homepage for SS12U1 (http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/patches/ss12u1_patches.jsp) it should be possible to download these also without a service contract, but this does not seem to be possible. The SunOS 5.10_x86: Microtasking libraries (libmtsk) patch 120754-6 distributed with the SS12U1 does not seem to be sufficient for 64-bit OpenMP programs. For correct functionality of the compiler patch 120754-7 appears to be needed.

My question thus is if it should be possible to access the required Sun Studio 12 Update 1 patches without a service contract?

Any help regarding this is highly appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Patches for  Sun Studio 12 Update 1
    807567 Newbie
    You will only be able to obtain Security patches and Patches marked as PUBLIC without a contract.

You will need to ensure that your patching tool, is up to date with the minimum required patches before attempting to patch the system.
  • 2. Re: Patches for  Sun Studio 12 Update 1
    807567 Newbie
    Thanks for the response. I was not aware of the recent changes in patch access, but guess that it is time to buy a service contract. Perhaps the patch 120754-07 rather than 120754-06 could be included in Sun Studio 12 Update 1, since the former patch appears to be required for a proper functionality of the compiler in conjunction with OpenMP, 64-bit, and higher levels of optimization.
  • 3. Re: Patches for  Sun Studio 12 Update 1
    807567 Newbie
    Tthe recent lockdown of all patches by Oracle, making them available only under a support contract, makes the issue of Sun Studio 12.1 patches discussed here quite important. If 120754-07 is required for proper SS12.1 functionality, then users without support contracts must not upgrade their systems to more recent Solaris versions, as SS12.1 will have to be re-installed, and the 07 patch will be unavailable. When will SS12.2 or SS13 (?) be released? If Oracle really wants to make some money, they will never release any further SS updates, thus requiring customers to buy contracts to get the darn patch.

Check these prices for SS support contracts:

Sun Studio 12 Update 1 Standard Sun Software Service Plan 1-year

$1,015.00

Sun Studio 12 Update 1 Premium Sun Software Service Plan 1-year

$1,218.00

http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/index.jsp