4 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2010 1:12 PM by user4994457 RSS

BOOT BLOCK issue

I have installed solaris 5 on my system with another application.
      initially the system creates everything and displays installation succesful,but when it reboots it gives an error.
      bootblk: can’t find the boot program.

Then i tried to restore it from the cdrom after booting from cdrom & mounting the hard disk by using the command.
      # cp /platform/`uname -i`/ufsboot /mnt/platform/`uname -i`

but the problem is still there.

sheheryar
        • 1. Re: BOOT BLOCK issue
          user4994457
          Solaris 5? Solaris 2.5 perhaps?

What is the hardware? What is the size of your root filesystem?

--
          Darren
          • 2. Re: BOOT BLOCK issue
            abrante
            .. also, you can't restore a boot block with cp, the boot block needs to exist in the boot area of the disk.

To install the boot block you need to run installboot (or installgrub, depending on the exact Solaris version/architecture of your server).

.7/M.
            • 3. Re: BOOT BLOCK issue
              abrante
              .. also, you can't restore a boot block with cp, the boot block needs to exist in the boot area of the disk.

To install the boot block you need to run installboot (or installgrub, depending on the exact Solaris version/architecture of your server).

.7/M.
              • 4. Re: BOOT BLOCK issue
                user4994457
                abrante wrote:
                True, but from his error message, his boot blocks are there and are being executed. I'm reading the error that the boot blocks cannot then find the ufsboot secondary loader.

The reason I asked about the hardware is that on (much) older systems, there were restrictions on how big the root filesystem could be. If it was larger, then the boot loader could fail like this.

If he's running anything at all modern, then this won't be the issue.

--
                Darren