1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 12, 2010 11:07 AM by user4994457 RSS

prevent reset in case of boot failure/panic?

Hi

I have downloaded the sun communications suite vmware image, which I want to run in a VirtualBox.

The image in vmware player boots up just fine, but in the VirtualBox I get boot errors (or even kernel panic?). The problem is I don't see the error message because the machine reset's automaticly. I am thinking of a wrong root parameter in grub (due to hardware abstraction differences in Virtualbox vs VMware).

Anyway, I have 2 questions

1) Can i supply a parameter with grub which makes the machine NOT reset, but just hang in case of a kernel boot failure/panic?

2) what is the naming convention in solaris for harddrives? (in linux it is sda,sdb,sdc,...., but I have no clue in solaris). The failsafe mode boot's up just fine, so maybe it's just a wrong root partition given in grub, and then I can fix it like this

note: the vmware image was configured with a scsi lsi logic driver

kind regards
      Arne
        • 1. Re: prevent reset in case of boot failure/panic?
          user4994457
          >
          1) Can i supply a parameter with grub which makes the machine NOT reset, but just hang in case of a kernel boot failure/panic?
          You can boot kadb (the kernel debugger), which should drop you into the debugger instead of resetting. There should be several guides on the internet about how to invoke it from grub. I'm not sure if you need to tell the debugger to not auto-reset.

--
          Darren