This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2008 10:29 PM by 807567 RSS

Process Name when we connect via Serial Port ,Its URGENT !!!

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am working with Sun Solaris 9 sparc and in my application,I have to communicate with the serial port.
For every connection we made, in Solaris it creates a process.So Can anyone tell me the name of the process when we connect serial cable??

like USB connection /dev/usb0 or /dev/hiddev0 process is created..

Thanks in Adavnce ...
  • 1. Re: Process Name when we connect via Serial Port ,Its URGENT !!!
    user4994457 Newbie
    Sangyesh wrote:
    Hi,

I am working with Sun Solaris 9 sparc and in my application,I have to communicate with the serial port.
    Outbound to a device, or inbound to a login shell or something else...?
    For every connection we made, in Solaris it creates a process.
    Are you talking about 'telnet' or 'ssh'? Those work differently from serial connections.
    So Can anyone tell me the name of the process when we connect serial cable??
    You might have a login listener if you configure it, otherwise, nothing is running.

You need to provide more details about how you intend to use the serial cable. I can't tell from your post.

--
    Darren
  • 2. Re: Process Name when we connect via Serial Port ,Its URGENT !!!
    807567 Newbie
    In my application,I am conneting a UPS and I have to monitor it via getting and sending the information using serial port or contact-closure.
    So It should read the data from the UPS.To do it,It should start the process to communicate with the UPS.
    So I have to find out that process is bieng stated or not??
    For that,first I need to know the process name...

So Please help me out to getting the process name ?

Thanks in Advance ...
  • 3. Re: Process Name when we connect via Serial Port ,Its URGENT !!!
    user4994457 Newbie
    Plugging in a serial cable doesn't do anything on the computer. It's not like USB where the machine is monitoring the port looking for something new. Instead you need to run a program that will poll the port explicitly.

Did the UPS come with a monitoring program for Solaris that you can install?

Here's a blog where somone talked about using a generic UPS monitor on Solaris 10.
    http://blogs.sun.com/mikey/entry/network_ups_tools_on_solaris

--
    Darren
  • 4. Re: Process Name when we connect via Serial Port ,Its URGENT !!!
    807567 Newbie
    You can also look at the source for apcupsd (at http://www.apcupsd.org) which talks to serial APC upses and see how it does it.