11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2008 1:21 PM by 807567 RSS

what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean

Hi all

I have a tiny program that fails after 20 seconds with "Bad system call (core dumped).

I did a truss on it and found the following statement in the output, which I'm not able to interprete:
      fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90)

what the hell is a negative FileDescriptor, any ideas?

BR
      pat
        • 1. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
          user4994457
          pat8765 wrote:
          Hi all

I have a tiny program that fails after 20 seconds with "Bad system call (core dumped).

I did a truss on it and found the following statement in the output, which I'm not able to interprete:
          fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90)
          Is the fstat in your code, or code you're calling, or what?
          what the hell is a negative FileDescriptor, any ideas?
          It's invalid. I assume that's why it's exiting.

Where did it come from? Are you getting the value from accept or something and not checking the value? Some tools return -1 when the FD you're interested in have already been closed. That doesn't mean you're allowed to use it as a file descriptor.

--
          Darren
          • 2. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
            Hi Darren

I took the prog from a Solaris 2.3.1 (sum4m) box and now try to run it on Solaris 8 (sun4u) in combination with a special PCI card.
            The program is accessing this card.
            So it's hard to tell about what's in behind in detail.
            There are other binaries in the package that work well, but this one fails after 20 seconds.
            Before the crash several /usr/lib/*.so files are opened with FD=3 and all closed.

Then I see:
            brk(0x000275B8)
            brk(ox000295B8)
            fstat(-1,oxFFBEFD90) Err#9 EABDF
            open("/dev/conslog"....

It is somehow accessing the card I quess!?

Pat
            • 3. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
              user4994457
              Without source, I can't begin to understand what's really going on.

Presumably the actual file is getting closed in S8 when it isn't on the other systems. Then the code isn't handling that situation and attempting to run fstat on it.

But again, without source, I don't know how you would be able to fix it. It could be a bug that it was actually working on 2.3.1, and the bug was "fixed" in S8. Or something else entirely...

--
              Darren
              • 4. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
                Hello.

Obviously a previous "open" failed and returned (-1).

However in this case a EBADF errno is returned (as seen in one of the answers above).

SIGSYS is caused in Unix systems when a non-existing system call is called. (Linux would return ENOSYS in this case.)

This can only happen if a program calls system calls directly (e.g. syscall() function) or there is a bug in the implementation of a function.

Martin
                • 5. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
                  Hi Darren

I managed to organize the source and uploaded the concerning part here:
                  [ http://www.wikifortio.com/823938/init_bus_231.zip ]

It initializes the special VME bus that is connected thru a PCI card.

BR
                  pat
                  • 6. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
                    Robert Cohen
                    Can you recompile the source on a solaris 10 machine?
                    Theres a chance something changed in the headers...
                    • 7. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
                      As I need it on Solaris 8, shouldn't I recompile it on Solaris 8?

Can you give an example what could have changed in the header?

BR Pat
                      • 8. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
                        user4994457
                        That's a lot of code. Do you know which fstat call is dieing? You might have to look through a dump trace. Then find the part in the code where the FD is set.

--
                        Darren
                        • 9. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
                          Hm

difficult to find fd calls in C source! But actually I also sent the wrong folder of source.
                          Better use this one: http://www.wikifortio.com/762692/hwy_wdog_request_data.zip

the makefile is used to create the hwy_stat binary.
                          I ran truss against hwy_stat and got the error decribed above.

From the makefile I see that hwy_stat is compiled out of ~20 objects files defined $HWY_OBJ.
                          And in the truss output I also see, that the last file opened and closed is /usr/platform/SUNWUltra60/lib/libc_psr.so.1.
                          hwy_stat always fails after 20 seconds.
                          But let me check the core file...

Pat
                          • 10. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
                            Hello.

I downloaded both .zip files. Both of them are incomplete and do not contain all source files required.

The second .zip file does not contain any suspicious code as far as I quickly looked at it.

The first .zip file queries for a system call number by name. This is possible when an installable kernel driver provides additional system calls.

Obviously your program requires a special kernel driver that is not installed. When the program calls the associated system call a SIGSYS signal occurs.

Martin
                            • 11. Re: what does fstat (-1, 0xFFBEFD90) mean
                              Hi

During startup of the whole program, a
                              # modload /kernel/sys/modify_bits

is executed. As we try to run the software package on Solaris 8 instead of 2.3.1, the modload first didn't run because of "no such fiel or directory, can't load".
                              Since we compiled a 64bit version of modify_bits, the error disappeared. I mean we can load it without error. But difficult to say if it really works.

So if I understand you correctly, still the kernel driver is the problem and not the hwy_stat that we are trying to fix above?
                              If yes, what could be the solution to make it work on Solaris8 (32/64 bit)?
                              Is there something special we need to about kernel in Solaris 8.

BR Patrik