This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2007 10:18 AM by 807567 RSS

Implementation of IO Completion Ports in Solaris

807567 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am working on porting of a Windows NT application which uses IOCompletion ports. I would like to know how the same can be implemented in Solaris and it would be helpful if can get some sample source code for the same.

Regards
  • 1. Re: Implementation of IO Completion Ports in Solaris
    807567 Newbie
    I am working on porting of a Windows NT application
    which uses IOCompletion ports. I would like to know
    how the same can be implemented in Solaris and it
    would be helpful if can get some sample source code
    for the same.

Regards
    Bad luck, there isn't such support in SOLARIS. You can simulate this by using async I/O
    aioread/aiowrite and dedicating special threads for receiving the SIGIO signals. These threads
    will make an aiowait loop. Unfortunately, you will receive signals for ANY kind of async I/O so you
    must be able to deduce yourself the relevant file-descriptor associated with the specific I/O.
    Also, you must know that async I/O is often masked as by using dedicated threads with
    synchronous I/O. I think that only for volumes, async I/O is really asynchronous.

Hope it helps.
  • 2. Re: Implementation of IO Completion Ports in Solaris
    807567 Newbie
    Actually, in Solaris 10 event ports were introduced. These allow one to wait in a unified fashion for async io completions, poll, timers, etc. More event sources are planned, including file modification events, signals, etc.