8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2010 1:59 AM by Ranjith RSS

Oracle import/export issues

Ranjith
      Hi all,

We had some issues in Oracle export/import. Share your views.

We have one Oracle 9i database in HP-UX PA-RISC machine. And another Oracle 11g database in HP-UX Itanium machine. Our goal is migrate the database from HP-UX PA-RISC to HP-UX Itanium machine (9i to 11g).

For that we exported the datas from 9i database using EXP method and created all the users and table spaces manually in the destination machine. Then started the import process using IMP in desination 11g database.

This import process goes normally without any errors around 10 hours. But later on the process is hanging. No action is happening in the destination machine as the CPU is completely idle. But Import Process not terminated.

No error displayed in the log files. The database size is 32 GB.
      The import process also utilized that much space but that process not ended successfully.

Share your Views.

Thanks in Advance,
      Ranjith.A
        • 1. Re: Oracle import/export issues
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Hi,

Is this an Oracle E-Business Suite database? If yes, please mention the application release.

Please note that the source/target database should be the same release to migrate an Oracle Apps database using export/import.

For a complete export/import, please see these docs and verify that you have complete all the steps in the relevant doc (since you have Oracle9i database, I believe your application release is 11i and not R12).

9i Export/Import Process for Oracle Applications Release 11i [ID 230627.1]
          Export/import notes on Applications 11i Database 11g [ID 557738.1]
          Known issues on Export/Import of an 11i Oracle Applications database [ID 265239.1]

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: Oracle import/export issues
            Ranjith
            Hi Hussein,

Thanks for ur quick reply.
            Yes. That is oraclle EBS dtabases only. The source 9i database belongs to EBS 11i and Destination 11g belongs to EBS R12 .

And i didnt get Your second point. We cant able to migrate the datas from 9i to 11g??? if Yes means whats the proble behind this? and how to do the migration from 9i to 11g?

Thanks
            Ranjith.A
            • 3. Re: Oracle import/export issues
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Hi Ranjith,
              And i didnt get Your second point. We cant able to migrate the datas from 9i to 11g??? if Yes means whats the proble behind this? and how to do the migration from 9i to 11g?
              A full database export/import of an Oracle Apps database is supported if the database patchset level on the source node match the one you have on the target node. Moreover, you cannot migrate an 11i database to R12 database as there are many difference between the two application releases (new/modified modules/tables/view/packages (database objects), ..etc).

You could log a SR to confirm this with Oracle support.

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: Oracle import/export issues
                Ranjith
                Hi Hussein,

Thanks, and Is it possible to migrate this way?
                1. Install the same database version in Destination machine
                2. Import the database to that same version
                3. upgrade that 9i database to 11g(possible?)
                or(9i to 10g to 11g)

Thanks
                Ranjith.A
                • 5. Re: Oracle import/export issues
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Hi,

If you have the same application release, yes it is possible.

- Migrate the 9i database from the source node to the target node using export/import (refer to the document referenced above for details)
                  - Upgrade the database on the target node from 9i to 11gR1/11gR2 (see the docs below for details)

Oracle Applications Release 11i with Oracle 11g Release 2 [ID 881505.1]
                  Oracle Applications Release 11i with Oracle 11g Release 1 (11.1.0) [ID 452783.1]

Thanks,
                  Hussein
                  • 6. Re: Oracle import/export issues
                    Ranjith
                    Hi Hussein,

Thanks for ur valuable replies.

But Our design plan is differ. The source application is EBS 11i and destination application is EBS R12 .
                    So How can i do that migration between this??

Thanks,Ranjith.A
                    • 7. Re: Oracle import/export issues
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      Ranjith,

What exactly you are planning to migrate?

You can either upgrade the 11i Application/Database on the source instance to R12 then migrate to the source nodes, or migrate the 11i Application/Database to the target nodes then upgrade to R12. Only these two approaches are supported by Oracle.

Thanks,
                      Hussein
                      • 8. Re: Oracle import/export issues
                        Ranjith
                        Hi Hussein.

Thanks a lot For saving my Time.
                        After Migation let u know the details

Thanks,
                        Ranjith